Delta Drill press - spindle adapter dropping out.

I've got a Delta 16 1/2" drill press and the spindle adapter keeps dropping out. The surface of the tang on the adapter is clean and it appears to wedge firmly up into the unit but invariably it will drop down during usage. Makes no difference, light or heavy drilling it keeps falling out of the unit. Not only a big bother but it can be dangerous.
I thought about using a mallet to knock it into place but am a little leary. Any ideas on how to get this to stay put ?
Thanks, Ed
1) clean the taper real good - I've used lacquer thinner in the past. 2) insert the chuck by hand. 3) open the jaws on the chuck fully. 4) place a piece of wood on the flat part of the chuck and then give it a good whack with a mallet. 5) you're done!
Woody

1a) Clean the inside of the spindle *******

Use the mallet. Standard method in every machine shop I've worked in.

The mating surfaces need to be clean and dry. 9 times out of 10, IME, this will work:
clean both the male & female surfaces with a degreasing, "drying" type cleaner, like automotive brake cleaner or (EPA & god forgive) MEK. You are on the right track with the mallet. After the surfaces are clean & dry, push the adapter up into the spindle. You can bring the spindle down against the table to set it, but always give it a good whack or 2 with a heavy mallet, or, with a block of wood and a steel hammer, about 2 lbs is right.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
http://www.beautifuliron.com/mttaper.htm
Ed Walsh wrote:

This can be frustrating. I discovered that the mating surface have to be spotlessly clean. After wiping with kerosene, I use the 92% alcohol and a paper towel to clean off all the kerosene residue--do this twice being extra careful not to touch the mating surfaces with your hands. A fingerprint leaves oil on the surface. Use a rubber, plastic or rawhide mallet to tap the chuck in place--a low-to-medium strength whack is what it took. No more dropping out. The only time I may have dropping out is when I use the drill press mortising attachment (some day I will buy a dedicated mortising machine.)