Delta DP 350 (variable speed) problem

I have a DP 350 Variable speed drill press. I have had it for about 2 years with no problems........ until today. I was adjusting the speed to high, and the check stopped turning. It looks like a problem with the variable pulleys. I recall a discussion on this news group about replacement pulleys from Delta. Any info would be appreciated

Thanks & Happy Woodworking Frank

Reply to
Frank S.

I had a problem with the pulleys on my unit, although it didn't totally stop like yours. It ran roughly with no torque. I contacted Delta and they seemed quite familiar with the problem and sent me out replacement parts free of charge without any hassle.

I believe my unit was less than a year old at the time so I don't know if there was a time limit for this specific problem. Couldn't hurt to call the service number in the manual and see what they will do.

-Mark

Reply to
hobbesct

Do you regularly oil your pulleys? They should be oiled weekly.

Reply to
stoutman

I have oiled it, not weekly, I don't use it weekly!

Frank

Reply to
Frank S.

If you read the instructions that came with your drill press it says to 'oil weekly'. It says nothing about how often you use it.

from page 15:

  1. The variable speed pulleys should be oiled weekly

with a few drops of light machine oil in the two oil holes

(B) Fig. 31, located on top of the variable speed pulleys.

Thanks & Happy Woodworking Frank

I have oiled it, not weekly, I don't use it weekly!

Frank

Reply to
stoutman

Oiling is always based to some degree on use. Do you think that the are oiled weekly while they are sitting in a warehouse or even in the stockroom of a local tool supplier?

Reply to
TBone

The original problem on this drill press was the steel center sleeve coming out of the aluminum pulley half that slides on the motor shaft. Delta's free fix for this is to send you a new sleeve and pulley half that are pinned together with a 1/16" diameter roll pin. The original steel sleeve/aluminum pulley were just pressed together and didn't stay very long (mine lasted about 1/2 hour of run time).

I'm sure that the term "oiled weekly" assumes fairly heavy or nearly constant use of the drill press. I use mine a couple of times a day average and perform the oiling step about once per quarter, which feels about right to me.

Reply to
Charley

I finally got Delta to send me the replacement pulley. Which, by the way, is on backorder until November. While I was waiting, I took the pulleys to work and drilled and pinned (with a drill bit). I installed it on the drill press...... Then I got a new retaining ring from HD and tried again. I learned a trick for replacing the spring. I compressed the spring in a vise, and put two tyraps on the spring to hold it compressed. It worked great! I then turned it on it worked. I then shut it off to put some oil on it. When I turned it on again, it didn't work! The switched crapped out! I called Delta and they said I have to talk to a tech, they might replace it (they said my DP is way out of warrantee BS) Any I checked the site to see how much a new on is $16.40 +.... But... it's on backorder! Hmmmm how many of these have also crapped out. Waiting to see if they call Frank

Charley wrote:

Reply to
Frank S.

I'm glad that I was able to help with your speed pulley problem. I haven't had any problem with my switch....yet, but thanks for the warning. That retaining ring is a bit tricky, isn't it.

I had bought their router/shaper about the same time as the drill press and had the switch on it go bad the fifth time that I used it though, and I think it's the same switch assembly. Delta sent me a replacement without any trouble.

Reply to
Charley

Reply to
Frank S.

Reply to
Frank S.

I've never had a problem with Delta tech support. They have always been there when I needed them. That's a significant reason why most of my shop tools are Delta.

Reply to
Charley