Delta DP 350 (variable speed) problem

I have a DP 350 Variable speed drill press. I have had it for about 2 years with no problems........ until today. I was adjusting the speed to high, and the check stopped turning. It looks like a problem with the variable pulleys. I recall a discussion on this news group about replacement pulleys from Delta. Any info would be appreciated
Thanks & Happy Woodworking Frank
I had a problem with the pulleys on my unit, although it didn't totally stop like yours. It ran roughly with no torque. I contacted Delta and they seemed quite familiar with the problem and sent me out replacement parts free of charge without any hassle.
I believe my unit was less than a year old at the time so I don't know if there was a time limit for this specific problem. Couldn't hurt to call the service number in the manual and see what they will do.
-Mark
Do you regularly oil your pulleys? They should be oiled weekly.

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------010606030202040401030307 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
stoutman wrote:

--------------010606030202040401030307--
If you read the instructions that came with your drill press it says to 'oil weekly'. It says nothing about how often you use it.
from page 15:
2. The variable speed pulleys should be oiled weekly
with a few drops of light machine oil in the two oil holes
(B) Fig. 31, located on top of the variable speed pulleys.
</PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"><PRE wrap="">I have a DP 350 Variable speed drill press. I have had it for about 2 years with no problems........ until today. I was adjusting the speed to high, and the check stopped turning. It looks like a problem with the variable pulleys. I recall a discussion on this news group about replacement pulleys from Delta. Any info would be appreciated
Thanks &amp; Happy Woodworking Frank </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=""><!---->
</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE>I have oiled it, not weekly, I don't use it weekly! <BR><BR>Frank<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Oiling is always based to some degree on use. Do you think that the are oiled weekly while they are sitting in a warehouse or even in the stockroom of a local tool supplier?
-- If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for skydiving
</PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"><PRE wrap="">I have a DP 350 Variable speed drill press. I have had it for about 2 years with no problems........ until today. I was adjusting the speed to high, and the check stopped turning. It looks like a problem with the variable pulleys. I recall a discussion on this news group about replacement pulleys from Delta. Any info would be appreciated
Thanks &amp; Happy Woodworking Frank </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=""><!---->
</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE>I have oiled it, not weekly, I don't use it weekly! <BR><BR>Frank<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
The original problem on this drill press was the steel center sleeve coming out of the aluminum pulley half that slides on the motor shaft. Delta's free fix for this is to send you a new sleeve and pulley half that are pinned together with a 1/16" diameter roll pin. The original steel sleeve/aluminum pulley were just pressed together and didn't stay very long (mine lasted about 1/2 hour of run time).
I'm sure that the term "oiled weekly" assumes fairly heavy or nearly constant use of the drill press. I use mine a couple of times a day average and perform the oiling step about once per quarter, which feels about right to me.
--
Charley

"TBone" < snipped-for-privacy@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
I finally got Delta to send me the replacement pulley. Which, by the way, is on backorder until November. While I was waiting, I took the pulleys to work and drilled and pinned (with a drill bit). I installed it on the drill press...... Then I got a new retaining ring from HD and tried again. I learned a trick for replacing the spring. I compressed the spring in a vise, and put two tyraps on the spring to hold it compressed. It worked great! I then turned it on it worked. I then shut it off to put some oil on it. When I turned it on again, it didn't work! The switched crapped out! I called Delta and they said I have to talk to a tech, they might replace it (they said my DP is way out of warrantee BS) Any I checked the site to see how much a new on is $16.40 +.... But... it's on backorder! Hmmmm how many of these have also crapped out. Waiting to see if they call Frank
Charley wrote:

I'm glad that I was able to help with your speed pulley problem. I haven't had any problem with my switch....yet, but thanks for the warning. That retaining ring is a bit tricky, isn't it.
I had bought their router/shaper about the same time as the drill press and had the switch on it go bad the fifth time that I used it though, and I think it's the same switch assembly. Delta sent me a replacement without any trouble.
--
Charley

"Frank S." < snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
I bypassed one side and it works. Now to convince them they need to send me a replacement.. When It's off backorder Thanks Frank
Charley wrote:

Delta came through. I called ana spoke to a Tech. He is going to send me a replacement switch (when they get some in) I guess Delta (dewalt) is OK when you push them. Frank
Frank S. wrote:

I've never had a problem with Delta tech support. They have always been there when I needed them. That's a significant reason why most of my shop tools are Delta.