Delta discontinuing parts for older tools...

Page 3 of 3

Well, my Rockwell tools _are_ 40 years old, after all...to be expected, isn't it? I mean, sense of perspective and all - can you buy a new flathead engine from Ford these days?
I understand what you mean BUT I as an informed consumer spend my money with companies that SUPPORT my purchase.
If you as a tool company want my business, you need to support the product LONG after the purchase.
Otherwise I will shop based on price...and there will always be someone cheaper than you.
As for Ford, I drive a 31 year old Ford pickup and I intend to be driving it for years to come. If the support for this pickup would suddenly not be available because of Ford's shortsightedness, then my next vehicle will not be a Ford.
Brand loyalty does not come for free...it is earned....a point that company management often forgets.
TMT
I doubt it is as irritated as those of who detest having to scroll to the bottom to read anything significant feel.

Packard Motorcar slogan was "Ask the man that owns one" lives on and on in my world!
On 28 Nov 2005 16:02:35 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"

Maybe not from Ford, but for more popular versions of various things (in my case, tractor parts), there are OEM-spec producers who produce various parts to original spec (at least the good ones do). That, and old parts from machine being parted out can keep old stuff going for a long time.
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:22:38 -0600, Duane Bozarth

With regard to castings, many times foundries will pressure companies to remove their patterns if they are not giving orders on a regular and consistent basis. They do this by either raising the price on the casting or more directly by telling you to get your patterns out or they will destroy them.
If the demand has fallen to the extent that the foundry will no longer house the pattern, the company will generally do what they call a "lifetime supply" order which is a statistical calculation that takes into account the falling demand and the past historical use. I'm not certain what the variables are, but it is not always perfect and, certainly you can run out before all the machines wear out.
Delta is probably the industry leader when it comes to servicing old machines. I say that because I had my regular production interfered with every month to produce service requirements for machines that had not been in regular production for decades..
It is not B & D that worries me with regard to service parts but the trend to far eastern suppliers. They typically will not service obsolete machines forcing the selling company to change their service part philosophy just because they can't get the parts at any reasonable cost.
Still waiting for the source and confirmation on the B & D six year cuttoff on obsolete industrial machinery service support. I don't believe it.
Frank