Delta DC question

Greetings Wreckers, I have a DC question, and didn't try to google yet, I'm kind of tired tonight and just not in a googling mood. I have a Delta 50-840 collector and it's hooked up to a Unisaw, DeWalt 735, and I'll be getting a DJ 20 soon. Is it good enough to just leave it hooked up directly, or should I be using some sort of a separator? Since it does take in it's fair share of chips from the Uni, I wonder if they can damage the DC? I'm really not up to speed yet on DC, so please excuse the newbie question. And besides, I'm doing my duty in trying to offset the idiot poster of late. Many TIA, Mark L.

Reply to
Mark L.

I gave up trying to run my DC without a separator. The inlet has a ring in front of it that kept getting jammed up with wood chips, especially when using the surface planer. With a garbage can separator, I NEVER get any clogs! For my shop, it's a must have.

dave

Mark L. wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I've got a trash can separator in the system simply to catch the big stuff that gets sucked in..., e.g., cutoffs from the cabinet saw and band saw, and things that the kids suck up off the floor when they clean up for me. (The kids like hauling that 4" hose around and sucking things up... way more cool than the little shop vac. ;-) ) My system is piped in with 4" spiral and uses a Delta 50-850 1.5 HP with a Woodstock International trash can lid. The system pulls most of the stuff right through the trash can an into the bag but the big stuff drops out. It's the big stuff I want to keep out of the impeller!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Reply to
Mark L.

So what non-wood items have you sent past the impeller so far?

I've a Jet DC with the cannister filter and wasn't able to hit the STOP button before destroying:

aluminum soda cans; plastic yogurt containers; sand paper; steel wool; and... the pot metal Delta 14" bandsaw table insert plate.

(Pulled out of the chip bag a little dinged and bent but otherwise, it and the DC appear to be OK.)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

The garbage can with the separator top does a good job. It will catch large pieces and tools from reaching your DC. A little better than that is a cyclone. I made one from a garbage can, some galvanized piping and elbows--works great. Later, I installed a small Plexiglas window in the can, halfway up, to know when it's time to empty it.

Reply to
Phisherman

Makes you wonder why they don't make more of the kind I have - impeller unit on top of the can. I've always thought it's ideal for the small shop. Rolls, doubles as a vacuum, and never jams an impeller with a stray chunk. Now if they could only find one that could keep up with a lathe....

Reply to
George

Mark,

I have the exact same model DC. I use it on the TS without a seperator, but I do have zero clearance inserts. I don't recall ever sending a piece of scrap through the DC from the TS.

When I first got my Delta Plane (22-580), I was so excited to try it that I ran a board through it as soon as I got it set up. Then I saw that the hose to the DC (I have a clear hose) was completely clogged with the shaving.

I had bought all the fixings to make a seperator, but didn't have the time/need before. I can't run the planer without one.

I never use the seperator on the jointer either. I guess its shaving are fine enough that they aren't a problem.

The 50-840 has a cross over the intake and I think the planer shavings are just too long to pass through them smoothly, thus the problem.

By the way, I routinely check the impeller and it doesn't have any knicks in it. Thought that was worth mentioning.

Chuck

Reply to
WoodChuck34

Reply to
Mark L.

Reply to
Mark L.

The separator, assuming you empty it often enough, does a great job of keeping big stuff from dinging the impeller. Also keeps shavings/curlies from hand planing from clogging up the DC's intake.

Another potential tip - if the unit you have has a Y inlet to allow two 4 inch dust lines to be connected at the DC, orient the one you won't be using down and the rubber plug left on. If an impeller dinger gets through the separator and hits the impellar it'll often drop into the unused, downward pointing port - where you can get it without having to reach in and find it. NEVER reach in around the impeller unless you've personally unplugged the DC or verified that the unit's unplugged JUST prior to reaching in. One more thing to remember it can hurt you.

Oh, and ditch the dust bags that come with the unit unless you got the 5 micron option, 1 micron being preferable. 1 micro oversized felt bags work pretty well. The big stuff that the stock bags catch isn't what will mess up your lungs - it's the very little stuff that'll screw you up.

Here's a great site with plenty of useful info on dust collection.

charlie b

Reply to
Mark L.

Nothing... I had the trash can on the system pretty much from the beginning, even when I had a 1 HP Delta dust collector hooked up. The stuff that has hit the trash can includes rags, paper towels, cut-offs, sand paper, a plastic cap off a spray paint can... The kids don't discriminate when they clean up!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin