Delta Band Saw Help

I recently began looking for a band saw and while at the local big box, I found a Delta 28-276. This unit has a 3/4 hp motor and I also noticed the wheels are aluminum. Are these features I should stay away from? I have been told I need at least a 1 hp motor and cast iron wheels should be the choice and at least a 14 inch saw.
If I were you I would give strong consideration to the Grizzly G0555. It is a lot of saw for the money, plus you can get an extension for it if you are ever going to do resawing. It has a 1 horse motor on it too. http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2005/main/067.cfm
"JT @yahoo.com>" <jrt2hoo<REMOVE THIS> wrote in message

The "feature" to stay away from is the BRAND. :) Look at a Powermatic 14 instead.
Dave
JT <jrt2hoo wrote:

Deltas are good BSes for the most part, but I'd stay away from any aluminum wheels. They're okay, but cast iron is better provided they're true and in round. Think of the wheels as flywheels that store energy once started rotating. Bigger, heavier wheels store more energy which helps the blade cut and not bog down in thick or difficult woods. Larger BSes can get away with aluminum wheels because they're bigger and heavier to begin with, but aluminum wheels on a 14" BS are too light in my opinion. Spend a little more and get a Delta with cast iron wheels.
Layne
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:26:22 -0500, JT <jrt2hoo<REMOVE

HUH?
If they're under power, that means nothing except longer time to spin down once the power is removed.
Last thing you want is some immense flywheel trying to stuff a flexible blade into a closed groove.

I don't think you can get cast iron wheels on a 14" Delta. I have the Delta 28-475X (their signature line 14" bandsaw) and it has AL wheels. Certainly at the price point you are looking at (around $400), I don't think you have cast iron as an option if you stay with Delta.
Lars

Well, just to push a factoid, I have a Delta 28-262, a little oldish. It works just fine and DOES have cast iron wheels. Wish I could get a better-centered driving pulley, though.
James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com
Not necessarily. However, look for these features: a 3 HP motor, flat cast iron table, good dust collection, a high quality fence, 10" blades.
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:26:22 -0500, JT <jrt2hoo<REMOVE

I don't think cast-iron wheels should make or break your decision, because it seems that you're on a budget. That saw usually sells for $399 at the BORGs, sometimes $349 on sale.
What you might want to do is look for a lightly used upscale Delta, or maybe look at the Jet JWBS 14X which does have cast iron wheels and 1 HP.
OTH, you might want to look at the new 12" Hitachi, which seems to be made nicer than the cheapest Deltas. They are at the BORGs for $299. Limited in expansion (no riser), but nice quality. I almost bought one.
Mike
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:26:22 -0500, JT <jrt2hoo<REMOVE

"JT @yahoo.com>" <jrt2hoo<REMOVE THIS> wrote in message

Bottom of the line, according to the Delta web site. Probably means Chinese foundry versus Taiwan or, in the case of mine, US, and possibly a greener casting. From experience, no great fan of Grizz tools' castings, but one of them might do. Move up the line with Delta or JET would be my recommendation.
Mine had 3/4 for years until I finally put a 1 HP in to speed up cutting of 6" thick wet wood turning blanks. Didn't do much more than the 3/4, for what it's worth. That kind of cutting is still a challenge, even with the increased power consumption. As to cast iron wheels, unimportant as long as they're balanced.