Delta 28-299B Bandsaw, minor gloat (I think)

Page 1 of 2
I went to the local Delta dealer the other day because I knew the Delta rep was in town. I'd been trying to choose a bandsaw, and was deciding between an American-made Delta 14", the Jet 16", and the Powermatic 14". They had last year's American Delta (28-299B) on the floor--$850 with riser block and fence included, minus 10% (they have 10% off all Delta tools for the month of December--I may have to go pay another visit). Anyway, I was chatting up the rep & hemming & hawing about the saw, so he offered to throw in a mobile base free. That just about convinced me, but I figured I should at least check the table for flat. Well, it was clearly not flat, and as he was saying that of course he'd order me a new one, I happened to look at the new Delta Chiwanese 14 incher next to it with the bigger table. He saw me looking and asked if I'd like him to replace the bent small table with a flat big one--that was enough, bought the saw on the spot.
I've only had a little time to play...er...work with the saw at this point, but so far I'm very happy with it. I don't have any vibration issues as at least one poster here did--it passes the nickle test, even on the mobile base. I can't say that I've stressed it at all, but it's had no problem with anything I've thrown at it so far, and I've only given it the most rudimentary of tune-ups and am using the blade that came with it (gotta order some Timberwolf blades this weekend). The new table arrived today, and I am a happy camper.
-Forrest
Do you think it vibrates too much ?
So I installed it on Linux...
I didn't even think the X-5's vibrated badly; just the 28-299A.
dave
David Binkowski wrote:

Anyone know the difference between a 28-299A and 28-299B??? BillyBob

yup.
dave
BillyBob wrote:

Care to elucidate on the topic?
BillyBob

The 299A includes the fence and mobile base, the 299B includes the fence and riser block.
-Forrest
BillyBob wrote:

Thanks Forrest.... BillyBob

the differences don't end there, guys...
dave
BillyBob wrote:

Hmm, actually, they do, at least according to the Delta rep I talked to. If you know something he did't, perhaps you'd could share to share rather than teasing us with hints of your mysterious knowledge?
-Forrest
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Obviously I shouldn't post before coffee...that should have read:
Hmm, actually, they do, at least according to the Delta rep I talked to. If you know something he didn't, perhaps you'd care to share rather than teasing us with hints of your mysterious knowledge?
Forrest Chamberlain wrote:

Forrest Chamberlain thus spake:

Nothing mysterious about it at all... ;-)
Greg G.
actually, Greg, according to the local store there was another improvement, that should be obvious to everyone who glances at a 299B, and then looks at a 299A. Since you THINK that I'm wrong, I'm gonna let you stew about it for a while longer...
dave
Greg wrote:

Bay Area Dave thus spake:

Boy, you're easy... <g> But I won't stew, I'm not in the market for one.
Happy Holidays!
Greg G.
but I thought the suspense was killing you! :)
dave
Greg wrote:

who gives a fuck about anything you say other than yourself, or whatever identity you're currently using. Your just a pussy hiding behind a modem!
"Forrest Chamberlain" wrote in message

Just FYI, although it doesn't address your question about the differences between the "A" and "B" designation, I believe BAD was referring to the sea change after the older 28-299 model, without the letters.
Todd Stock wrote an interesting post back in February about the differences in the 299 and 299A. It's re-posted below with full credit to Todd:
<Todd Stock post, 02/03>
You did get the best of the 14" saws, but in adding power to the package, Delta made a cost engineering change that moved them in the direction of the imports, quality-wise.
The problem with the new Delta 1.5 hp is that they upp'd the motor speed from 1750 to 3450 (to keep the price point for the motor and drive train identical to the old 28-299) and replaced the excellent balanced steel and iron pulleys that were supplied with the old 3/4 and 1 hp saws with the same crappy cast alloy sheaves that the Jets and other imports are using. This drive train vibe is more noticeable than on the imports because speed is doubled and power is higher on the new Deltas.
Junk the alloy sheave (the motor is likely a machined steel sheave and is probably OK) and invest in a cast iron, balanced Browning sheave for the driven shaft - about $28 from MSC. Make sure you get the proper bore (3/4") and correct 4L pitch diameter (NOT the same as the outside diameter).
Also - swap to a link belt. These are the fixes that Iturra recommends for the Jet and other imports, and appears to be necessary for the new Delta 1.5 hp as well.
I hope Delta gets enough complaints to change the drivetrain back to a balanced system - just one of the many things that justified a higher price tag for the saw."
</Todd Stock>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/18/03
David Binkowski wrote:

David Binkowski wrote:

Not at all. Like I said, it passed the nickle test no problem.
-Forrest