Delta 28-206 14" bandsaw?

Page 1 of 2
I am considering this bandsaw....it has a 4" dustport, nice fit &finish.... "Seems" like the Amarican made one....(the model before the X5) but would like to hear about it.... Vibration? Quality of cut? (I will put Viking/TimberWolf blade) Is it strong enough to get good tension in the blade? the salesman told me that the Viking/TimberWolf require 30% less tension ....
One friend is trying to get me buy the General International 14" 90-100M1 steel frame, he is saying that I will get more tension in the blade and a better cut quality...is it true?
thanks
--
Mike

Add pictures here
βœ–
11/15 Bought this machine at a tool show here in town. 11/24 P/U machine. 11/28 Assembled machine found fit and finish not as good as other JET machine I recently purchased.
On start up saw had severe vibration.
Isolated the main problem to an out of balance bottom wheel.
Fix1: 4 penny weight out of balance using crude balancing methods, but this solved the major vibration.
Further investigation revealed that the bandsaw tires did not sit flat on wheels.
Fix2: Removed wheels and tires from wheels, inverted tires and shaved flash from injection molding process during manufacture. Reinstalled wheels.
The machine now runs relatively smooth, a little vibration but within my tolerances for a machine of this price.
Spoke with Delta technician during the above described processes and to their credit Delta is shipping a new "in balance" bottom wheel free of charge rush delivery. Tech was very helpful and understanding to my concerns, went so far as to locate the part from "I don't know where" since part is back ordered. But he assures me it is new and comes from a reliable source that has checked the balance.
I purchased this bandsaw after speaking with the Delta Rep at the tool show. I had decided to go with the JET 14 but the Delta Rep pointed out the larger table, cast iron trunion, 4" dust port, and blade tension quick release as unique features, he mentioned the 9 spoke wheels also..with the free table saw tenoning jig (which I was going to purchasing anyway) and 50 rebate the costs were equal so I chose the Delta for these extra features.
My Kitchen renovation project begins soon and I will be putting this saw to the test.
Add pictures here
βœ–
thanks,
this is the kind of things that worried me... I am kind of afraid to buy a Taiwanese Saw, but don't want to pay big bucks for a Canadian, USA or Italian made one :-( (at least not now...)
Was it really the 28-206 or the X5? if it was the X5 it is even worst :-( (the 28-206 cost $750CDN and the X5 is $1300CDN here near Montreal Canada)
As for your kitchen...I want to redo mine also.....big project...a bit intimadating to me.... Did you get a good book?
Thanks
--
Mike

"newspost" < snipped-for-privacy@mail.net> a ιcrit dans le message de
βœ–
Mike,
Yeah, I have bought several, about 80 bucks worth through Amazon, money well spent. A couple on cabinet building with plans and material lists, one on cabinet doors and drawers, nothing I would consider a cabinet bible, but enough that I have an overall plan now. The book that seems will be the most help is "Build Your Own Kitchen Cabinets" by Danny Proulx - Amazon link:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)71083787//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i5_
He tends to use a lot of melamime coated ply, I will be using maple ply and edge banding cut from maple stock instead of the cheaper rolls of banding...but the build is similar...going with euro style and shaker style doors as the wife wants (easier to build for me so no complaints from my end).
I decided on the purchase of 5 major tools to add to my workshop with the savings on building my own cabs to offset the cost. Cabinet saw with router and lift built into table extension, Jointer, Wide belt sander, Bandsaw, and a 2 micron dust collector system. Had every other hand/power tool needed...oh and a dovetail system...chose the Incra Twin Linear for versatility.
BANDSAW UPDATE...the adjustable blade guard and upper guide assembly does not track parallel to the blade when adjusting through its entire range (high to low). I am about to call Delta with this newly discovered flaw now...I shall see how they respond. Man I should have stuck with the JET!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hi, I've bought Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets from Jim Toplin....I like it...
I am not sure yet if I will do the kitchen myself or buy pre-fab unit.....I am afraid to take too long building them myself....shaker is a good option...nice looking and easier to build than some other design.
from Danny Proulx, I've bought this one: (Amazon.com product link shortened) I've returned it!!! useless for me....
I do have the Jessem Mast-R-Lift.....wonderful!!!! I do have the Incra Ultra 24"....I did not use it very much for dovetail so far....and I am often using an home build fence to handle larger router bits.....so I am not sure if this costly piece of equipment worth it...
You story with the 28-206 is scarring me.....I don't want to much trouble with a bandsaw......I've just order the Bandsaw book from Amazon and hopefully, it will help me....
--
Mike

Add pictures here
βœ–
Mike,
Yes....be afraid...be very afraid. I would not but this Delta saw again myself...I would go with the jet...their taiwanese quality surpasses this first Delta attempt at foreign manufacturing, obviously they have alot to learn about quality control in a distant land, a lesson that JET deems to have mastered.
I am back to calling Delta now to see if they can or will do anything about the blade guard misalignment. Maybe I can shame them into something grand? Perhaps replacement with a US made saw for my troubles...we shall see.
Gary
Add pictures here
βœ–
Thanks Mike, If you have any questions drop me an email at snipped-for-privacy@cabinetmaking.com Regards, Danny-- Danny Proulx Rideau Cabinets PO Box 331 Russell, Ont. K4R 1E1 1-613-445-3722 http://www.cabinetmaking.com

Add pictures here
βœ–
Thanks Danny,
I went to your web site and saw your new book.... That might be what I am looking for...thanks
Mike

Add pictures here
βœ–
IF you listen to me and get a Powermatic instead of the Delta, you'll be one happy camper. If you don't heed my advice, start searching for vibration reduction tips, plus lose the extra features like carter guides, cut-line blower, work light, and vibration free sawing. If you decide to get the Delta anyway, don't say I didn't warn you.
dave
Mike wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
yeah, but we don't have the Powermatic here in the Montreal (Canada) area.... also I think the price would be close the X5 and not to the 28-206...which is $750CDN (X5 is $1300CDN)
--
Mike

"Bay Area Dave" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> a ιcrit dans le message de
βœ–
bummer!
dave
Mike wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
The Powermatic doesn't tension as high as the Delta 14".
So I installed it on Linux...
βœ–
the Powermatic handles a 3/4" blade perfectly. what have you been smokin'?
dave
David Binkowski wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

Dave,
Have you no comprehensive skills at all. What he said was the Powermatic doesn't tension as high. That would make a difference to some people just as much as the little blower means to you.
Rich
Add pictures here
βœ–
Thus spake "dave" !!! Wow, can you tell who owns the Powermatic?
In fact, I think the difference in tension between the Powermatic and most of the others was about 30% to 40% less, but I can't remember the numbers, only the relative difference. Its just something I read in a bandsaw review, covering the Powermatic, Jet, Delta, Grizzly, and a few others. I'm sure your BS does handle a 3/4" blade, but can it handle it for 12" resaws? Mine can handle a 3/4" blade also, but when re-sawing its important to have proper beam strength with the blade, to reduce the amount of deflection thats possible. SO, I like to run a 5/8" blade instead. I figure by backing the size off a notch, I'm able to tension the blade to a higher PSI without putting as much stress on the wheels. And I think the 5/8" is still wide enough for resawing..
So I installed it on Linux...
βœ–
You know, I shouldn't have teased dave in that last post. After all, I'd be angry too if I had bought a Powermatic!
One of my favorite posts was a response to a guy who was agonizing over buying a table saw. I followed his posts for a while, and his journey on the way to getting his table saw. After he bought it, there was a response to his purchase saying only "You should have bought the other one.".
Buyer's remorse. We've all been there. And I think even with the best of tools, the Excelsior 5000 gold plated limited edition tool, we always wonder if that other one would make us happier. :-)
So I installed it on Linux...
βœ–
Teased? I don't feel teased. The only buyer's regret I've had with regard to WW stuff is the Delta BS, which went back. I was less than thrilled with the fence on my PC557, but I'm getting over it and don't use it that much anyway. IF I had to do a lot of biscuiting I'd go Lamello or at least Makita. I'm pleased with the rest of my equipment. The limiting factor in my shop is me; not the "stuff". So I keep picking up more books... :)
dave
David Binkowski wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
funny you should mention the 5/8 blade. I just picked one up yesterday. It leaves a nicer finish than my 3/4. I can't get the riser yet; the unit is new and word is they will be available in January. For what I want to use a BS for, the PM is perfect. I don't intended to go out in the south forty and cut down a 100 year old oak and mill it myself.
Stores that carry the Powermatic AND Delta are having one hell of a time selling the Deltas now.
dave
David Binkowski wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Hi - The Powermatic is certainly not the only good 14" bandsaw around. Those who make statements implying this are full of it. I know the 14" US made Delta is very nice, as is the Jet, and I've heard good things about others too. I bought the 14" GI 90-125 and I think it cuts as well as the Delta, for about $400CAD less than the Delta. Most of these saws will require some tuning, so get a good book like Duginskie's Bandsaw handbook, or     As for the GI 90-100M1, FWW wrote that it can tension more than the Delta or its clones, but it can't take a riser block, which I think is a big minus.     Buy from a good dealer, and if you have any problems your dealer should be able to resolve them. In Montreal, I really like Outils Berger on Tachereau. /Brian
PS. Apologies if this is a duplicate posting. I didn't see the first version I wrote.
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Hi Brian,
I went to PB, this is the place I intend to buy it....
I am so afraid in buying a band saw I will not like...
I saw th GI 90-125, the King 14" &17", the Delta 28-206 & X5..... What about vibration on your GI?
apparently they are all good....but from what I read here, and also in magazine, the X5 (or American made Delta's ) are less prone to give me headache..... what do you think?
--
Mike

"Brian Sullivan" < snipped-for-privacy@Montreal.ca> a ιcrit dans le message de
βœ–