Delta 18-36 drum sander

I am trying to compare the 16-32 performax and the delta 18-36. One disturbing thing on the Performax is that it will only accept stock up to 3 inches thick. I can't seem to find the limiting thickness for the Delta. Can anybody who owns or has used one provide the number?

Any comments/comparisons of the two would be appreciated.

Len

Reply to
Leonard Lopez

How often do you anticipate needing to sand a 13+/4 board? Shouldn't think it would be all that often...

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Len -

I have the Delta unit for about 4 years and it will go 4". As for surfacing "thick" stock - It is VERY useful and the extra capacity is good. I will sand the edges of a set of boards by clamping them together, "standing up" and running them through. The drum sander is a great way to get a WHOLE bunch of parts exactly the same thickness or width. Would I buy it again? You bet!

Hope this helps - however if your needs are on the smaller side I think Performax just came out with a bench top unit that will sand ~6" wide.

My only reservation with the Delta unit is that you really can't take off very much material in a single pass - I wouldn't even go 1/16" as it'll stall out. I accept this as one of the machine's limitations and don't rely on it as an abraisive planer. On the plus side, it's a godsend for sanding chair parts - dozens at time, and QUICKLY...

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead