Delta 17-965 drill press extreme vibration

I bought a Delta 17-965 16.5" drill press, put it together, and am experiencing unacceptable vibration (the head shakes, the table shakes, everything shakes) that didn't exist on the cheap Craftsman some electrical engineers put in lab space I shared.
Belt tension makes some change but does not appreciably reduce it. With the belts off there's a tiny amount from the motor. The belts are oval shaped as shipped but don't seem to have a real set. Regardless of belt tension the idler pulley bounces arround a lot. A straight edge across the pulleys shows the spindle and motor pulleys are level but the idler pully is significantly (1/4"?) below them. I have not yet put a dial indicator on anything to look for runout.
Help!
--
In 1913 the inflation adjusted (in 2003 dollars) exemption for single people

The vibration is, more than likely the belt. Some new machines are coming with an import belt that is just too stiff. Some would steer you to a link belt however, I would either let the one you have run at high speed for a while or replace it with a new regular automotive v-belt.
Dave
I steer you toward the link belt. Go to the link belt... gooo..... I could not balance a nickel on my TS and the motor would bob up and down violently- I put a link belt on and viola- no more vibration. I can now start, run, and stop the saw with a nickel balanced on its edge. Im sure a dime would work too. Goooo to the link belt....

Auto shop V-belts changed the sounds some but did not reduce vibration appreciably from what I had with the included belts.
With a link belt nothing knocks or rattles and the vibration is only a little worse than with just the motor running without belts installed. This is useable (nothing walks off the table) but still seems excessive.
I need some frame of reference as to what's expected...
--
In 1913 the inflation adjusted (in 2003 dollars) exemption for single people
snipped-for-privacy@revolt.poohsticks.org (Drew Eckhardt) wrote in

/rant mode on
Will you please just call Delta? Your machine is performing a lot worse than the same model I bought a year ago. There was, I believe, a string of vibration problems that Delta knew about, and fixed. Since mine worked just fine, I put the info into the 'don't worry about it' category.
How many hours are you going to put into a $400 drill press?
/rant mode off
Patriarch
I feel better know.
"Drew Eckhardt"

Your DP should not have any significant vibration. My Delta 17-968 does not have any vibration at all. Check for bent pulleys or shafts.
Dave
I agree with Dave that the belt would be the first suspect. I've got the same model; it runs smoothly.
Dave
Drew Eckhardt wrote:

You can check out this thread, might be relevant: http://www.workshopbuzz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t471
Clint

I just measured my 17-965, and the idler pulley is 3/32" lower than the other two, it runs very smoothly. I agree with the other posters it's not likely to be the problem. If the drill press is new call Delta.
-- Tom