Delta 17-900 Drill Press Spindle Pulley Removal

I am working on a drill press,It is the Delta 17-900. Needed to change the noisy bearing in the idler pulley ( found it at auto zone) it was 15 MM ID X 35 MM OD X 11 MM thick, turns out it;s a pretty common bearing, there are a bunch of them on e bay. Anyways, the tensioning lever for the belts is not working, feels like the cam that moves the motor back has come loose from the lever. Have to get it apart to see what is what. I need to get the top cover off to see what is what ,and need to remove the pulley on the spindle or quill, to do so. I got the nut loose and off (Left hand BTY, 32 MM or 1 1/4" socket needed) but can't seem to pop off the pulley. I tapped a wedge under the pulley and taped on the top spindle with a plastic mallet, but it didn't go. I did not want to force it and break the pulley. Do I need some type of puller? Wonder if auto zone has something they could loan me? I have it soaking overnight right now. Also, when I get this all back together, how tight does the top left handed nut need to be? I am searching Google right now, but not coming up with much. A few posts Seemed to suggest the pulley might be on a tapered shaft. Thanks, Tony

Reply to
ant30dio

Michael Kenefick

Do you think the pulley might screw on, also? I wouldn't think so.

would just continue to gently try to work it free. If it doesn't screw on or if there is no set screw, holding it to the sleeve, then it should loosen with moderate coaxing.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Puller will be your best choice other than heating the pulley. Other than that, you need far more shock and awe than a dainty tap w/ a little plastic-faced hammer is going to provide.

Oh, and yes, they are tapered shaft.

--

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
tiredofspam

Thanks Guys, Yes I got it off. Found a puller at work, and after reading replies here, was able to free it. That's all I'm doing for tonight. Have to clean up the pulley. Still have to get the cover off, and look at the motor tensioner, hopefully won't have trouble there. Came off pretty easy. Actually, it's a A/C Clutch Pulley puller. Might even be able to get one at Auto Zone. It's an OE brand, think that's what Auto Zone sells. Looks like this.

Tony

Reply to
ant30dio

No didn't think of that. So you were able to get to the cam and tensioning lever by taking off the head? Anyways I got it off, I'll follow up when I get further, may not be till the weekend. Thanks, Tony

Reply to
ant30dio

Well got it all back together. Two rods in head slide forward and back, by a lever and a cam. Pin in cam had fallen out, had to peen in. Tightened cam good and tight and broke cam, had to have welded. Rods were gummed up and rusted, had to wire wheel and lube. Replaced 1 belt, motor had a bit of a noise, put some rummer isolators under motor, seemed to help some. Think the noise is in the motor itself. Here are some pictures and a You tube video. thanks, Tony

ant30dio

Seven year old thread but I would like to know if it is a left hand thread on the 1 1/4 nut on top of the spindle pulley? Also I?m having trou ble holding the spindle tight while I attempt to loosen the bolt. Any sugge stions? I?m thinking an impact wrench might be the answer. Thanks i f anyone is still around on this thread.

Reply to
etchase

FWIW and almost without fail, a nut or bolt loosens in the same direction that the wheel/arbor normally spins when under operation.

Reply to
Leon

On Wednesday, November 3, 2010 at 5:45:38 PM UTC-4, tiredofspam wrote: You sir are a genius. I thought of your reply when I absolutely could not get the nut off the pulley, flipped the head on it's side and there it was. Thanks. Doug

Reply to
jakeee461