Delta 17-900 chuck removal

Can anyone advise me on how to do this ? The owners manual doesn't say. I thought running the quill down, I'd see a space for a drift. The slots in the quill are there, but the taper goes in higher than the two slots. So I tried to unscrew the chuck it from the taper, thinking that would work, but so far no luck and I'm afraid of beating the chuck key any harder. I purchased a new 5/8 chuck (threaded) and it came with a #3 taper arbor to screw on so I can approach it either way - just can't seem to get either way to work for me.

jim in FL

Reply to
Jim Bailey

Adjust your stops for maximum depth and you should be able to slide a bar through the exposed slot and wack it down to get it out.

If that doesn't work you could probably chuck something like a big allen wrench in the chuck and use that for wacking on.

Reply to
RayV

Got it. When I lowered the spindle and looked through, i was only looking through the first set of slots - turning the spindle inside revealed another set that allowed access to the top of the arbor. Made a trip to the local surplus house and bought a drift, and it came right out.

One thing I noticed is my new arbor isn't quite as long as the old one by maybe 3/4 to 1" , but it fits nicely and very snug. Anything to worry about ?

Thanks

Reply to
Jim Bailey