Delta 14" bandsaw

A couple weeks back I asked for and received several opinions on Grizzly 14" bandsaws. I was just about sold on their 14" model G0555.

Until today.

I stopped down the local Rockler store and the have the Delta 14" (28-206) for about $25 more than the Grizzly. However, the Delta doesn't include a fence, but, Grizzly charges ~60 for shipping, plus being home, with a friend, to unload from the delivery truck it may be another problem.

That all said, does anyone have any experiences with this Delta bs. I've read some reviews where vibration was a problem, while others had no complaints.

Just try'n to get the best saw for the bucks I have to spend on one.

ThankX again all,

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Phisherman

As one who has the Griz G0555 and likes it very much (once I got rid of the roller bearing guides and replaced them with blocks), I would opt for the Delta in your situation. You get a year longer warranty but the biggest thing for me would be the system of adjusting the lower guides which all can be done from in front of the saw. The lower guides on the Griz work fine but they are like the Jet and you have to do it from behind them. That little bit of money dif for the extra warranty and ease of adjustment is a no-brainer in my book.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

I've had the Delta for about 3 years now, perfectly happy with it. Like all BS, it benefitted from a set of cool blocke for guides, better dust collection, and I'm thinking about beefing up the blade tension spring. I got the riser kit when I bought it, and have used it to resaw 8 and

10 inch boards. Still don't have a fence, just clamp a board to the table when I need one. Made a point fence for resawing. See Rogowski's (sp?) book on bandsaws for a lot of good tips.
Reply to
gpdewitt

Why, yes, I believe you are.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

I just bought a 28-206 last November. As I have noticed through my own experience and that of others here on the 'Wreck, Delta quality for any given machine is usually either pretty good or particularly atrocious, no rhyme or reason. It's like you get either the machine they built at

5:45PM the day before a holiday or the one they built the day the Quality Assurance inspectors came through. So, for any given Delta machine, it's going to be (1) a very good value and give you years of service or (2) the thing that makes you take up drinking and cursing like a sailor if you don't already.

That being said, the Delta machines I have were all pretty much okay when I got them. Except for the 28-206. Here's a list of the manufacturing defects I had on mine:

  • Vibrated like diesel - Caused by an out-of-balance upper wheel, an arguably out-of-balance lower wheel, and a misalignment between the motor and wheel pulleys adjusted to their maximum travels.

  • Loose lower guide bracket - Caused by an undersized steel rail, a known problem Delta acknowledged.

  • Misaligned doors - The lower door in particular as it was wont to pop open at whim.

  • A particularly nasty rattle between the table and the 90-deg stop bolt.

I should also note that I bought the 28-206 knowing Delta's inconsistent quality problems, and I spent an inordinate amount of time puting the machine together and getting every measurement/alignment/setting as close to perfect as I could manage with the way it was built. (It took me at least four or five hours to get it all together out of the box.) In spite of that effort, I discovered all the problems listed above.

I should also note that Delta's Customer Service department did a stellar job helping me identify the problems and either recommending a solution or getting replacement parts out quickly. I received all the replacement parts in 2-3 days with the exception of the upper wheel which was backordered for two months. I just recieved it this week. I'll post more when I get a chance to put the new parts on.

The one thing I have noticed that is a weakness in design is the flexibility of the top of the enclosed stand. American Woodworker noted this in their review of the 28-206. When I was doing my research on this band saw I read a post here about a guy who reinforced the top with angle iron underneath. That's probably the best solution for the problem, but I don't want to go running down that road until I've gotten everything else normalized first to see if needs improving. Hope all that helps.

Chop

Reply to
chopsaw

Why buy the machine that's a "direct" copy of the one that set the standard for all the rest ????

R> A couple weeks back I asked for and received several opinions on Grizzly 14" > bandsaws.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Isn't the 28-206 a "direct" copy as well ???

Reply to
GregP

I purchased the delta 14" saw two years ago, and it is a great machine. My only complaint is that the dust collection, which has since been redesigned. I have done resawing, intricate cutting and ripping on the saw without any troubles. If I had it to do over, I would do exactly the same thing.

Ron, if you like, Delta shipped my saw with two rip fence kits. Neither Delta nor the distributor I purchased it through wanted the extra returned. I'd be happy to unload the fence for a song just to get it out of my shop.

Reply to
Paul B Deemer

Almost ...with a lot of "price point" engineering. Anyone looking for a 14" bandsaw today would do well to try to find a used 28-299.

Reply to
Swingman

Not exactly a copy, as much as a model not made in USA. The 28-206 was introduced to handle the Home Center crowd due to the "price point".

It's not a bad saw, just not the same as it's big($$$) brother.

The "original" 14" Delta bandsaw is the bandsaw that almost all modern bandsaws is based upon. It remains the "gold standard" in bandsaws.

The 28-206 comes in at around $549...

**** Woodworker Supply 1/24/05 **** The 28-848 comes in at around $848...

GregP wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

How close is the 475 to that gold standard ? I'm asking because I can get one at a decent price.

Reply to
GregP

The X-5 (475) is, itself, a "copy" and certainly not the "gold standard" ... and a "price point" re-engineered one to boot.

Todd Stock wrote an interesting post back a year or so ago about the differences

You did get the best of the 14" saws, but in adding power to the package, Delta made a cost engineering change that moved them in the direction of the imports, quality-wise.

The problem with the new Delta 1.5 hp is that they upp'd the motor speed from 1750 to 3450 (to keep the price point for the motor and drive train identical to the old 28-299) and replaced the excellent balanced steel and iron pulleys that were supplied with the old 3/4 and 1 hp saws with the same crappy cast alloy sheaves that the Jets and other imports are using. This drive train vibe is more noticeable than on the imports because speed is doubled and power is higher on the new Deltas.

Junk the alloy sheave (the motor is likely a machined steel sheave and is probably OK) and invest in a cast iron, balanced Browning sheave for the driven shaft - about $28 from MSC. Make sure you get the proper bore (3/4") and correct 4L pitch diameter (NOT the same as the outside diameter).

Also - swap to a link belt. These are the fixes that Iturra recommends for the Jet and other imports, and appears to be necessary for the new Delta

1.5 hp as well.

I hope Delta gets enough complaints to change the drivetrain back to a balanced system - just one of the many things that justified a higher price tag for the saw."

Reply to
Swingman

If you want a good bandsaw, keep your money in your pocket and start looking for a 14" Delta made prior to 1975 or so...(they are available)

A very nice saw is the 28-200 which had/has a enclosed base BUT does not have the swing doors. Not a show stopper, but still a pain in the wazoo.

The older saws almost always had much slower and smaller motors but that presents very few problems.

I would spout off about other things but the Iturra folks down in Jacksonville,FL. publish a very nice catalog with a very good write up on

14" bandsaws and why the Delta is far superior to any others(imports).(call for catalog)

The higher end Powermatic is still considered an excellent bandsaw in the 14" class.

GregP wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber