Delta 14" Bandsaw

I have had a olddd delta 14" bandsaw for about 16 years and it was rebuilt when i bought it. Motor just burnt up it was always too small any body know what size hp motor would be the correct size. Thanks Ed S.

Reply to
ed

Lawrence A. Ramsey

This would be my vote.

Reply to
Montyhp

Lowest were originally 1/2 HP, understand they go to 1 1/2 now. Mine's a

1HP. What you choose depends on your purpose and patience. Just make sure it is the same "frame" as the one it replaces to ease mounting.

Oh yes, if you get a 1 horse Baldor for the open stand model, you'll need to reverse the armature so the capacitor/switch box doesn't interfere with opening the lower door.

Reply to
George

Reply to
nospambob

ED!!

Don't forget to get the right RPM. Here's what most 14" have these days:

Motor: 1 HP, TEFC, 110V / 220V single phase, 1725 RPM

Make sure it's TEFC as well (mine accidentally shipped with an open motor -- doesn't work at all, of course I sent it right back). But the 1725 RPM is what you want, not 3450.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

Why not just change the pulleys?

Montyhp

[snip]
Reply to
Montyhp

Before I answer this, let me say I'm not a mechanical engineer, so this is what I "think" the answer is :)

Changing the pulleys would definitely be able to affect the speed of the blade. However, and here's where I'm shady on the whole thing, wouldn't that change the torque being applied to the wheels/blade? Would it be less force applied to the blade as a result, which would affect resaw for example -- or do I have it completely wrong. In which case, replacing the pulleys is fine (unless they cost more with the 3450rpm motor than just purchasing the 1725rpm motor in the first place ;)

Dunno, Mike

[snip]
Reply to
Mike in Idaho

Unless they're substantially cheaper, why not just get the right motor in the first place?

todd

Reply to
todd

A Big Block Chevy is my choice... prefer a 427 over a 396 or 454 however... lol... OH you were asking about motors not engines...sorry !

Seriously I would pick up at least a 1 or 1 1/2 HP motor especially if you resaw... otherwise a 3/4 horse motor is fine...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Thanks again 1725 TEFC 1HP is the way i will go Ed S.

Bob G. wrote:

Reply to
ed

Carefull, These will need some modification. Note also they are 3450 RPM ********Quote from site;********** Motor Feet Help

? These motors are face mount and come with floor mounting instructions. Additionally there are many muffler shops or auto repair shops that can charge about $10-$20 to weld on new mounting feet or brackets for you !!!

> Montyhp

Reply to
Anthony Diodati