Delta 14-651

Greetings Wreckers, My Delta mortiser came today. Couldn't refuse the $50 off deal @ Amazon. Since I have yet to use any mortiser, I could use help on something. I have read that the supplied Delta chisels are crap. Although they are quite sharp, the blanchard ground sides aren't quite smooth. From what I gather, one of the problems with chisels is binding on the upstroke. Does it help to stone/polish the outsides of the chisels? Should I use the stock Delta pieces for practice and buy a set of quality chisels? Lastly, I read a lot about scary sharp, is there a url that explains how to achieve this? Thanks for all the help, Mark L.

Reply to
Mark L.

I honed my on a series of stones. I also bought the shrpening kit of a two conical stones for internal sharpening. Lee Valley has them. I have no problem witht he chisels.

I plan to eventually replace mine with good ones. The chisels don't seem to be as bad as the crappy auger bits. Buy a small file to sharpen them and they will be much better, but not as good as they could be. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

See

for the Scary Sharp method.

Regards, Bob Headrick