Delta 11-990 DP bearing source question

Hello group,

Does anyone have an alternate source to Dewalt/Delta Service.net for bearings for this model drill press? I'm hearing odd rattling noises coming from the area beneath the spindle pulley. It sounds to me like the bearings are going bad. I checked with the Delta website and they want $22/each for the bearings. I'm hoping I can find a bearing source that will have the equivalent bearing for less.

Also, any input regarding how difficult it is to replace them would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance,

Dale

Reply to
Dale

Dale wrote: > Hello group, >

Ball bearings are sold by standard size defined by OD, ID, and race width.

All sizes are metric.

You should be able to get bearings from any baering supply house.

$22 may be a little high, but probably not by much.

You need a bearing puller pull the old bearings and an arbor press if you expect to install new bearings without brinelling them.

Got somebody in the neighborhood you can barter with?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

As well, there are OEM bearings that are not standard and additional features/styles/etc., including shield, material(s), tolerances, etc., etc.

Except for those that aren't... :)

Again, assuming they aren't an OEM-"oddball". Likely they are a standard, but not guaranteed. Going to a bearing supply is the right choice, though.

Not sure of the particular press by the model number so don't know how large/heavy they are--probably correct the cost differential very likely won't be huge.

Will need puller or press to remove them undoubtedly. Depending on design and tolerances, quite probably would be able to reinstall them carefully w/ just a block and some care.

Many bearing supply/distribtors have machine shops associated and will do so if don't want to or don't have the handy neighbor/buddy whose services are securable w/ the correct beverage... :)

Reply to
dpb

There are but it is extremely unlikely that a non standard bearing would be used in common drill press.

Agreed. To split hairs though, the inch is defined as a fraction of the meter. This being the case, one could say that inches are a metric unit.

Reply to
CW

"Dale" wrote in message news:iMYtg.101$Oj.32@trnddc05...

Get the numbers off the bearing and go to

and do a search for the number. Also do a Google search for the number and the word "bearing".

Frank

Reply to
Frank K.

Thanks to everyone for all the input. I have access to a bearing puller and press so I'm not too concerned about getting them on and off the spindle. I am a little concerned about how to get the thing out though. I'm looking at the parts drawing and it looks like I'd need to remove the pinion gear assembly to get the spindle out. If that's the case I'd need to also remove the spindle spring. That part concerns me. My experience with removing springs from all things mechanical is that they tend to shoot across my shop faster than kicked back lumber while I'm removing them. The spring would wind up lost after that. :-)

Can the spindle be removed without pulling the pinion gear? The parts drawing isn't too clear to me as to how the spindle can be removed. Does it just drop out of the quill after the nuts holding it in are removed?

One other thing. After looking over the unit again it appears to me that the quill has quite a bit of vertical play in it. Is there some sort of lash adjustment that can be made to improve this?

Reply to
Dale

the bearing "in front of you" when you call. The numbers can be VERY hard to read at times but on some, very easy.

The numbers are all the folks need to get a replacement.

Tbe $22 is not that expensive for hard to find bearing....

Dale wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Pat,

I'll give that a try. Thanks for the info. Agreed that $22 isn't much for a bearing, but if I get into the machine and find I need to replace the upper and lower bearing and possibly more, I'm probably going to get into this for more money than I should probably spend. I start thinking about buying a new tool when I start to shell close to half of what new one would cost (upper, lower and spindle bearing $66

  • shipping). Not exactly half but getting there. :-) I really won't know until I open it up.

Cheers,

Dale

Reply to
Dale

There is a huge group of folks that are really into old machines and rebuilding....

around for your drill press and see what it can really look like.

Dale wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber