delicate sanding ideas

Hi all, I am refinishing an family heirloom antique dresser to it's original painted finish. After removing three layers of paints I discovered the ornate trim, 1/2 round 3/8 wide, is rubber, the curved areas, and wood, in the straight areas. I easily carved some wood to replace missing rubber but now at finishing time I have raised fibers on the wood trim parts. I need a suggestion or two to knock off the fibers without loosing more detail in the wood relief. I sprayed light primer and cured it to hold the fibers proud. My first thought was to steel wool it. Suggestions???
a scraper
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods