Dehumidifier Went Tango Uniform

@#$%^&*

$$$$

This was a fifteen year old Whirlpool with a 50 pint per 24 hour capacity.

Anyone have recommendations for a replacement?

I can't store stuff in the basement without this and we have rainy weather coming on.

OBWW - the stuff I store there is for the shop.

TIA

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Another Whirlpool. Fifteen years is a pretty good lifespan IMO. Good news for me, too: probably means I have six or seven years left on the two Whirlpool dehums in *my* basement.

What's wrong with it, anyway? What are the symptoms?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Breaker trip. No apparent dead shorts. No "click" on startup.

Conclusion: Compressor is locked. Replacement cost of compressor exceeds what would be prudent given the low cost of a new unit.

Your logic is mine also on getting another Whirlpool but the current (dead) one was made in the States and my suspicion is that the new ones are not. (not that there's anything wrong with that) but there is.

Checking Consumer Reports showed the Kenmore to be a decent buy but those weenies often get things wrong.

I'd like to hear from a current satisfied owner.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Yep, I agree with both of those conclusions.

It's been a while since I checked, but as recently as maybe three years ago they were still made in the U.S.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Thank you for that, Doug. I'm going to look into it.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Move your shop to Austin TX. You won't need it. LOL

Reply to
Leon

You might try a "hard-start" kit and a sharp rap with a hammer. Google "unlock+compressor"

Reply to
HeyBub

on 7/16/2009 3:57 PM (ET) Tom Watson wrote the following:

Kenmore is a Sears brand name, but since Sears does not make anything, the appliance is made by someone else, maybe Whirlpool, and if 15 years old, could also be White Westinghouse. My WW is 20 years old and still running.

Reply to
willshak

I had Luchenbach in mind. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Hell, if I lived in Austin, I'd spend all my time in the music bars - so I wouldn't need air conditioning or a kitchen, neither.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

can get 20% humidity and you don't have to fight through all that ... air! mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

No recommendation, but I would suggest looking for mechanical, rather than electronic controls. My Maytag shuts down completely with any power loss, and will not restart without manually pressing the ON button. Since we have momentary outages every 8-10 days (just long enough to make the clocks reset), I have to check the damn thing daily to make sure it is still running.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

I'll take 100 ft elevation, a mile from the beach.

20 degrees warmer in winter and 20 degrees cooler in the summer than whatever is next.

Got to love that ocean.

BTW, what's humidity?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

or Whitehorse. Stuff gets freeze dried.

L.

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Move to Phoenix.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Actual, popular, bumper-sticker:

"South Austin - We're all here because we're not all there!"

Reply to
HeyBub

No doubt considered brilliant in Austin.

nb

Reply to
notbob