dehumidifier to control MC

How can I control wood from absorbing moisture? Can I enclose a small portion of my lumber stock approximately for 500 board feet and somehow fit it with a dehumidifier? or something else?
ANy body got suggestions for this problem?
Thanks in advance
NORy
snipped-for-privacy@i-manila.com.ph wrote:

Short answer is--you can't w/o finishing it.

You have my permission... :)

What, specifically, is the problem?
If you have a damp shop and store your material in a drier location, then when you bring it from that location to the shop it's going reaclimate while you're trying to work on it. You need a stable environment in the shop, basically.
Keep it out of direct contact with water.
Can I enclose a small portion of my lumber stock approximately for 500 board feet and somehow

Sure, but why?

What problem?

Sure you can. Stored wood that way up at the university. That way you knew where it stood and which way it was going, because you looked at the RH on the wall. If it was going to expand, you built loose. If it was going to contract, tight.
No need for it to cycle up and down all the time, because then you'd have to check every board and hope the interior and exterior were equalized. Keep a good hygrometer on the wall in there to calibrate your analog humidity control.
George wrote:

Actually, the way oldtimers did that was to cut a reference board at a precise width (say 12") and simply measure its dimension periodically to see where it was at the time...
On 6 Oct 2005 07:25:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@i-manila.com.ph wrote:

if the humidity is below abouyt 40% then your fine. is is when it gets higher that wood will absorb more. but you could put a dehumidifier with the wood wrapped in plastic. it iwll make heat and dry out the wood. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes