Degloss additive?

Is there something I can add to gloss lacquer to turn it into semi-gloss? If so, what is it called?

I have four gallons of gloss Deft that I got for 5% off at a local hardware store that was discontinuing the product. I am about out of the semi-gloss that I bought there, so I would like to kill the gloss on this stuff.

Any Ideas?

Reply to
Al Reid

what is it called?

that was discontinuing the product. I am about

this stuff.

I've heard "talcum powder", but haven't tried it. You'd want unscented unless you want your workpiece to smell like a baby's changing table.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Once it's thoroughly dry a gentle rub with 0000 steel wool does the trick nicely.

Art

what is it called?

that was discontinuing the product. I am about

this stuff.

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Good point, also gives you the option to go back to gloss later, where putting something in the finish makes that never an option.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

use the gloss for all the coats except the last one

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Fair enough. I just thought I had seen some kind of additive and couldn't remember where or what it was called. Looks like elbow grease is the organic additive I'll need to use.

Thanks!

Reply to
Al Reid

Or use a satin poly varnish for the top coat.

But I think I have heard of an additive to de-gloss gloss. Did you ask the dealer where you bought the paint? They might add de-glosser free of charge.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

go to the nearest autobody and paint supply there are many products available depending on the paint base and it's a pretty common process in the automotive world ... Camo jobs and the like are generally shiny paint that are glossed down when they mix the paint.

Reply to
Eric Johnson

what is it called?

You can add a "flattener" such as that made by Behlen and sold by Liberon.

"FLATTENERREDUCES THE GLOSS OF A FINISH Flattening agent for lacquer. Transparent liquid additive used to reduce the gloss of a finish. One gallon of gloss lacquer finish requires 16 ounces of Flattener to convert it to a flat finish. A satin sheen requires only 8 oz?s. of Flattener added to a gallon of gloss lacquer. # B610-01006 - Quart .......................................................... $11.98"

Nova

semi-gloss? If so, what is it called?

.......................................................... $11.98"

Thanks! That's what I was looking for.

-- Al Reid

Reply to
Al Reid

what is it called?

Best way is to rub the shine out with pumice when it's dry and hard.

Quickest and easiest way is to mix a flattening powder in with the wet varnish. Talcum powder works, as does almost anything plain and powdery. If you use something hard like silex (airfloat silica) though, it becomes impossible to sand it. Try the talcum powder, but experiment first - a couple of oz in a gallon is enough to start making a difference.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:05:40 +0100, Andy Dingley calmly ranted:

what is it called?

I prefer to degloss varnish with 0000 steel wool and paste wax. Wouldn't that also work on lacquer if one was careful? I know lacquer is thinner than varnish.

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

what is it called?

that was discontinuing the product. I am about

this stuff.

Yech, who would buy talcum powder that smells like baby poop?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

what is it called?

that was discontinuing the product. I am about

stuff.

Don't forget that early coats of a finish should be gloss. Flattening agents cloud finishes. Only the last one or two coats should be semi-gloss.

Use that gloss stuff to build finishes.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

It works great! Lacquer is usually sprayed, while varnish is often brushed. Enough coats need to be sprayed to ensure a decent build before rubbing.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

sherman williams sells a product called "ok-412". you should be able to get in a local store. if you need a product number i'll dig it out. bob

Reply to
Minorite

Nope, but before it sets up, run the same roller over the surface to lift the gloss off, just before it sets, do this several times and you will have a durable non shiney surface.

Reply to
Ratman

It's been 16 years. I think it's set.

Reply to