Deft products

I picked up a can of Deft sanding sealer and didn't read it until I got it home. By the sounds of this stuff it's a laquer base so that would make it incompatible with MinWax polyurethane, right?
Yup. I made the mistake of coating hundreds of feet of baseboard with Deft Sanding Sealer before I'd realized that's not the proper sealer under poly. I went ahead with the poly top coats and haven't had any problems. Would I recommend using it under poly? NO.
Dave
C & M wrote:

It could develope an adhesion problem later on, yes to your question.
ken

C & M wrote:

Lacquer based sanding sealers work fine UNDER most varnishes, including polyurethane. The sealer will dry extremely fast, allowing you to finish the sanding / sealing stages quickly.
You just don't want to use a lacquer product OVER a varnish.
Dewaxed shellac, such as Seal Coat, or shop-mixed stuff also makes an excellent sanding sealer. Seal Coat is a universal sealer and barrier, and is excellent to keep on hand.
Barry
That's what I thought, until I read the warning on the label, Barry.
B a r r y wrote:

David wrote:

Does Deft include some sort of funky ingredient that other lacquer-based products don't?
Of course, if the label says don't do it, I'm with ya'!
Barry
The fine print is so small, I failed to notice the caveat when I purchased the can. Brushable lacquer has to have SOMETHING funky in it to provide better brushability. :)
Dave
B a r r y wrote:

David wrote:

But he said "Deft Sanding Sealer", not Deft Brushing Lacquer. They are two different products, as Deft is a brand, not a product name.
Are we talking about different stuff?
No. I used deft sanding sealer (but it's lacquer AND it's brushable). I know that Deft makes brushable lacquer as well.
I've still got the can. It says don't use it under poly.
Dave
B a r r y wrote:

C & M says...

You can use it under the poly, but not over it.
So you don't believe the mfgr's label?
Dave
Hax Planx wrote:

David says...

I don't have the label in front of me, but the spec sheet on their web site only forbids applying it _over_ an oxidizing finish. That would be quite an omission if they make a product labeled sanding sealer then neglect to tell us that you can't use by far the largest category of finishing products (the many and varied polyurethanes) as top coats. I'll admit I could be wrong, but I'll have to see it before I believe it.
I grabbed the can from my cabinet, HP: here's the verbatim information: "4. Finish: Apply 2 or more finish coats of Deft's Clear Wood Finish, or other quality lacquer products. Do not apply varnishes over Deft's Sanding Sealer."
There's nothing ambigious about that.
Dave
Hax Planx wrote:

After so much controversial opinion I received an e-mail which suggested that I contact Deft Corp (Duh!!). Here's the complete quote from them: "Thank you for your inquiry. No Lacquer Sanding Sealer is not compatible with a polyurethane. We appreciate your considering Deft."
I guess that says it all. I also received another one from someone who said that the adhesion gave up the ghost some months later, after it had seemed so good at first.

I won't do it...
I won't do it...
I won't do it...
Ok! I'll do it... (I told you so) Just teasing. You did the right thing. I had also called them several years ago, which is why I knew I was correct. Besides, I had read the label which clearly says not to use it under varnish. poly is varnish.
Dave
C & M wrote:

Is Deft SS stearated? I'll bet it is.
Stearated sealers cannot be used under varnishes, regardless of the solvent used to thin it.