Defective Freud Router Bit?

Page 3 of 3
Dave,
I apologize for any misinformation there has been some about the reason for the gap in the carbide on your bit. It is correct that we put the gap there purposefully. The primary reason for this is that it makes the carbide seat more consistently. It also allows for the different heat contraction/expansion rates between the carbide and the steel body that occurs during and after the brazing process. Since carbide is brazed only on the flat back side and not on the edges there is not an issue of strength. This change will eventually take place on all of our bits.
Charles M Freud, Inc.
snipped-for-privacy@mackinengineering.com (Dave) wrote in message

Eureka!!!!! I've finally done it!!!!! The worlds first liquid nitrogen cooled router bits!!!!!!!! "Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day,fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way......"
why didn't you do it right and use liquid helium? <g>
dave
Rick wrote:

hey! I bet it has to do with allowing them to grind the sides of the teeth before brazing....