Deep Scratches Table Saw

Page 1 of 2
Have some deep scratches and rust pits on the extensions on my older Powermatic 66 table saw. Thought of filling with bondo, but think there is probably a better product. Any recommendations?
Thanks MB
"nevems2" writes:

is
Forget ANY polyester based product such as Bondo, it won't bond to metal.
If these scratches and pits are purely of a cosmetic nature, why bother?
--
Lew

Ditto what Lew said.
UA100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

idiot!
dave

Just out of curiosity, how does Unisaw A100 agreed with Lew regarding the need to [not] fix cosmetic scratches lead you to call him an idiot?
scott
Scott Lurndal wrote:

just because there are millions upon millions of vehicles out there that have bondo on their metal bodies. Granted, it's smart to "key" it in, but it will stick pretty darn well, unless you flex the substrate. ALSO, there may be BETTER solutions than Bondo for the TS, BUT to categorically say that it won't bond to metal is incorrect.
dave

He didn't, he was just presenting his title, albeit with odd punctuation.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Here we go again! Don't be an ASSHOLE. You are one of the undersigned who agreed to ignore (shun) me. By responding just one level away from my post, you are essentially responding to ME. You are the SECOND moron who has broken his promise. Get back to shunning me COMPLETELY.
dave
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
remove ns from my header address to reply via email You promised to ignore this...
It looks better like this...
ID 10 T
writes:

Scott Lurndal wrote:

I forgot to mention the most important reason I called him an idiot: please Google "undersigned group:rec.woodworking". He is ONE of the morons who think I give a flying patootie that they have "shunned" me. I'm happy as a pig in slop that there is almost ZERO hassling on the Wreck now. I can concentrate of WW posts. (Except for this little diversion, which I shall promise to ignore in the future. Thanks for your co-operation in keeping the Wreck irritation free!)
If you quote what I just wrote, Keeter (UA100) will see it; HE doesn't want to see my posts. Please respect his wishes.
dave
please do not feed the trolls.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Huh? They use it on cars. What do you mean "it won't bond to metal"?
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Exactly my thought.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Lew should spend some time in a body shop.
dave
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" writes:

"Bondo" is a polyester resin loaded with talc so that it can be sanded to a fine edge.
Polyester is a lousy adhesive.
New polyester doesn't even bond to old polyester which is why epoxy is used to repair polyester based fiberglass boats.
Bondo won't bond to the metal, the best you get is an interlocking of the repair patch to the metal part being repaired.
HTH
--
Lew

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Polyester is the filler, not the glue that binds it together.

Hurts more than helps.
THe polyester fillers I've used seem to have no problem sticking to metals.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mark wrote:

Then what, pray tell, are they using for glue?

--
--John
On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:47:23 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

[Missed original post.]
Why bother? clean up, make sure the top isn't bumpy as a result [sand if necesary], then leave alone except for some rust treatment to deter any more. A table top doesn't have to be "solid" to support a piece of wood. Pits and cracks give it character, like an old face.
Bill.

A product named "Devcon" comes to mind.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland