Dedicated mortising machines.

Page 1 of 3
I'm looking at the Delta and the Jet bench mortisers. Any recommendations?
Max

I have the Delta. Works well. The chisels have to be sharpened before using them for best results. Lee Valley has a conical shaped tool for doing the inside, any good stone can hone the outside.
I chose the Delta over the Jet because it had a little more heft to it and a better metal fence, no MDF. Thee was about a $20 price difference. One of the magazines rated a few machines and both of these were good buys.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Agreed. The fence and hold down were the difference. However, I ended up modifying the Delta to be more secure and accurate anyway.
Dave

TeamCasa wrote:

What mod's did you make?
Replaced the table with a larger table that I put T-slots in for other guides and holdowns - replaced the U shaped holddown with larger one (custom made from alunimum). And I have used my cros-slide vice on occasion for smaller pieces.
Dave

I bought this Shop Fox model: (Amazon.com product link shortened)09296472/sr=8-3/ref=pd_bbs_3/002-6578606-1268855?v=glance&s=hi&nP7846on sale for $150 at a local hardware store, and this fence set up here:http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_ide69&objectgroup_idR7&catid &filter=mortising%20machineThis is my first Shop Fox machine (I normally buy Jet or Delta) and I'vebeen quite pleased with it. Recently I've been using the 1/2" chisel tobore large mortises in 10/4 oak for a workbench and it's never even boggeddown. Also, it's 100x easier to set up and use than those drill pressattachments, especially with the aftermarket table (I didn't like thefactory supplied table at all). I preferred this machine over the Delta andJet because I really liked the way the handle is- longer means moreleverage. The machine has 3/4 hp motor and I thought just it seemed morestout than the others. The price is what ultimately won me overhough. --dave."TeamCasa"
TeamCasa wrote:>>>>> ...>>> modifying the Delta to be more secure and accurate anyway.>> ...>>>> What mod's did you make?>>>>

Dave, Could you tell me what sort of modifications you made?
Max

I have the General 75-050T. It's more expensive than the Delta or the Jet, but it's beefier, has a front holddown, and has a tilting head.
The July 2004 issue of Wood contains some comparative reviews.
I have the Delta too and Ed is right - you have to sharpen up the chisels out of the box. And sharpen often too if mortising hard wood - not unlike a normal chisel.
--
John

"Max" < snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.netnot> wrote in message
I have the Jet and have been very happy with it. I haven't sharpened the chisels, and the mortises always need some clean up. But it cuts effectively and is easy to set up.
I bought the delta bacuse it had a dovetailed (?) column rather than the round column on the jet, On a dovetailed coulmn, you can adjust the slop out by tighening the set screws on the slide plate (Like a milling machine.) The primary reason I bought a dedicated mortiser rather than go on using my drill press was to eliminate the slop of my drill press. The Jet may be adjustable as well. but I really liked the dovetail design. They were about the same price when I bought it, 3 years ago. I use it often, and have had no complaints.
Joe in Denver my woodworking website: http://www.the-wildings.com/shop /

I agree with the other posts on the brands and quality, but for most cases I feel it's the chisels that mean the most. They mentioned the conical sharpening tool, but many chisels need quite a bit more. The inside must be smooth and the chip ejection slot deburred, The body should be slightly leaner than the cutting head, to reduce friction. I seem to recall Delta used chisels from two places, and one was pretty good while the other was pretty well junk. Finally, some chisels seem to have bits that extend further to the side than needed, and leave many ridges in the sides of the mortise. GerryG

Max wrote:

Took the Delta over the Jet for the extra heft--wouldn't consider anything except the model(s) w/ the metal table--not the slightly cheaper one w/ the MDF table. Essentially the same otherwise, but the heft is significant.
Only complaint other than that mentioned by others already is that the added column height block w/ the Delta (and I assume the others are similar) is very poorly designed w/ the fence positioning mechanisim. If you can see the Jet somewhere to compare, I'd look at it from that standpoint if you foresee any need at all for the extra capacity...
I wish there were something between the small guys and the $800-range Powermatic....I just couldn't justify the $$ and couldn't find a used in time to meet production demands....
BTW, you'll have to have a solid bench to mount it to, also, for anything except the smallest of work...

I've got the Jet, works well...I don't think there's much between them tho. Neither comes with great chisels, and the holddowns on both pretty much suck.
There's an interesting tip in the current FWW for adapting a sliding drill-table vise for use on a mortiser. It looks like a real good idea, and I'm going to try it sometime soon.
John

I suggest you get a cross-slide vise immediately, if not sooner :) It's so easy to set up and use now, its ridiculous. I can crank out precise, repeatable mortises now, it's actually fun! Since it's a Jet, if you want any instructions or a picture of it, let me know.
Mark Howell wrote: ...

How do you avoid losing most of the height clearance?

By attaching the mortiser and vise, independantly, to a stepped base.
Mark Howell wrote:

In other words, you took the column off the original base?

Ahh, I see the confusion. The base gets bolted 180 to the column, so the unused table part is in the back. Jet kindly drilled 3 extra holes in the base to do this.