Decorative Right Angle Supports

I'm working up a price on 100 to 120 of these brackets to go under the eaves of a new bookstore/coffeehouse opening here in town. They'll be about 24" on each arm, with some curvy detail on the inside. I'm not so much concerned about how to make them as I am about what material to use and how to finish it. Right now I'm thinking about using cypress, and then just spraying a primer coat and a couple of coats of the appropriately colored latex paint onto them. Does this sound right?

Also, any suggestions as to methods of joinery (to the building)? They'll be somewhat protected from the elements by the eaves, but I'd really prefer that these things hold up better than any of the other trim work. I'm just starting out and I want to do things right.

Thanks, JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Forget it - I've found the solution. I'm just going to use MDF (it mills easilty) and then brush a thin coat of paint on 'em. I've heard that's best.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

MDF does not hold up real well when exposed to rain/humidity. Exterior ply is perhaps a better idea. Cypress/cedar is also good. As long as your are painting them, pine/fir will work just fine. Cut each leg separately and screw each to the eave and wall in the appropriate place. If you want overkill, use some construction adhesive or caulk to the joint. All this assumes that these are decorative more than structural. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn