Decking Prices?

Hello,
I'm in the process of rebuilding a deck and have posted some other questions. Thanks again to those who responded.
In shopping around for decking material, I found a place called Uncle Hilde's Lumber Outlet that is located in New Hampshire. Has anyone here had any experience, either good, bad, or indifferent, with them?
Out of necessity, I'm shopping price and was surprised at the low prices that they are showing for the ironwoods such as Ipe, Meranti, or Tigerwood. I thought that I had read on their site that the reason for their low prices was due to the fact that the decking only comes in 8 ft. lengths. Upon closer scrutiny, I can't seem to find where I read that.
In my case, I need to cover a 16' wide X 20' long deck. The 20' dimension runs parallel to the house. Ideally, 20' long deck boards would do the job, but at a substantially higher cost. I believe that Advantage Lumber, another site that I looked at, adds an up charge of $1 per linear ft. for boards over 19' and 20'. Too much for my budget.
It was suggested that I split the area into basically two 16' X 10' sections by installing a center deck board perpendicular to the house and then covering the two sections with 10' long deck boards. Not a bad idea. Another suggestion was to go with 12' and 8' deck boards and stagger the joints. That would work too, I suppose, however, I like the first suggestion better.
I also looked for some sort of calculator to see if I could play around with various deck board sizes (both lengths & widths) and layouts, but couldn't find one. Perhaps one doesn't exist.
Any feedback posted to the group would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Peter.

If I remember correctly, we made our first home's deck with 4 sections. We had a kitchen door roughly in the middle, and there I laid the boards diagonally in a V pattern going away from the door. Boards perpendicular to the width separate the V-section from the 2 sides where the boards ran parallel to the house. It provided a bit of a pattern to break the monotony of the large deck.
--
Best regards
Han
"Peter Bogiatzidis" wrote in message
[...]
================= One possibility is to vary the splits into regular pattern breaks
like:
16'+4', 4'+16', repeat giving one broken, but visually lined up cracks at each
or better yet
16'+4', 8'+12', 12'+8', 4'+16' giving four regularly spaced cracks with larger gaps between repetitive rows.
Do it in multiples of 4' and the lumber should work out economically an look like it was meant to be that way by design.
--
Eric

"Eric" wrote
One possibility is to vary the splits into regular pattern breaks
like:
16'+4', 4'+16', repeat giving one broken, but visually lined up cracks at each
or better yet
16'+4', 8'+12', 12'+8', 4'+16' giving four regularly spaced cracks with larger gaps between repetitive rows.
Do it in multiples of 4' and the lumber should work out economically an look like it was meant to be that way by design. -- Eric ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- That is how I would do it. I have to admit that I am somewhat anal about keeping the pattern breaks going.
-- Jim in NC
"Morgans" wrote in message
"Eric" wrote
One possibility is to vary the splits into regular pattern breaks
like:
16'+4', 4'+16', repeat giving one broken, but visually lined up cracks at each
or better yet
16'+4', 8'+12', 12'+8', 4'+16' giving four regularly spaced cracks with larger gaps between repetitive rows.
Do it in multiples of 4' and the lumber should work out economically an look like it was meant to be that way by design. -- Eric ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- That is how I would do it. I have to admit that I am somewhat anal about keeping the pattern breaks going.
-- Jim in NC
============== Yeah start a pattern like that and have to break it! It looks like hell to me.
(maybe `hell` should have a capital on it)
--
Eric