Deck Stain Problem

This probably seems like more of a home-repair problem, but I know the finish experts are here:
While building our new home ourselves, it looks like we made an error in selecting deck stain. In spite of good success with Olympic several years earlier, we let ourselves be convinced that Sherwin Williams semi-transparent was a great stain. Price was comparable to Olympic Premium.
We built the deck two years ago this coming June. after construction we let it set through about three months of hot Kansas summer to dry it out. Then I gave it a light pressure wash, let it set for a few days and applied two coats of the Sherwin Williams product.
Mistake. After barely 15 months the traffic areas started showing wear all the way to wood in places (There are only two of us). Now, after about 20 months the finish is starting to crack and come off of rails and other areas not subject to wear. Obviously I have a pretty good job ahead with removing and/or repairing the first job. Does anyone have suggestions regarding getting the original finish to re- stainable surface or am I looking at a strip and start over job?
RonB
On 5/19/2012 3:34 PM, RonB wrote:

FWIW, our new home has stained front porch posts, about 12" square. Dark brown Sherwin Williams Stain, Semitransparent on cedar. I had to re-stain 14 months later. I restained against my better judgement with semitransparent Behr stain. 3 months later it still looks good but I highly suspect I will be restraining yearly.

That is why I am a little irritated with myself. We put Olympic Premium standard (not semi-transparent) stain on a new fence project and an existing deck, at the same time, at a previous home. That was about 7 years ago. We get back to the neighborhood now and then and, while showing some wear, it looks pretty good. The Sherwin Williams product is junk. We have had excellent experience with their internal house paint but this stuff is a disappointment
Ron
On 5/20/2012 9:45 PM, RonB wrote:

Like any thing else, a particular brand good or not does into insure good product through out its product line.