Deck Project - Concrete

Page 3 of 4
On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 09:08:46 -0500, Steve Turner

I know they have used just plan dirt in a few dams.
"Leon" wrote in message
On 7/19/2011 1:07 PM, Josepi wrote:

And what if it does not rain in a day or so? Kind of a stupid gamble. ____________________________________________________________
I can only think that not mixing with water first, or counting on rain to set up a dry hole is only a factor in very dry regions, or in drought areas.
Shoot, I have had bags in the garage set up in one solid block just from moisture in the air. If the ground around the hole has any significant moisture in it, it is plenty to set up a dry post. As to the one account of pulling out dry unhardened mixes after a few years, I can not imagine how that could happen except in the desert.
-- Jim in NC
On 7/19/11 5:08 PM, Morgans wrote:

That has happened to me too, last time I was in a HD, not sure if it was fiscal restraint or what, but it seemed very warm and humid in the place, not sure what that is doing to bags of concrete.
--
Froz...

On 7/19/2011 4:08 PM, Morgans wrote:

I have had fertilizer do that and it is not concrete. I seriousely doubt that concrete that has set up from humidity or moisture in the soil is going to be a correct cure or have any strength.
Gooey wrote the following:

The posts in this thread certainly don't need concrete. The thread is getting pretty deep without it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The optimum (all factors) concrete is made with ice, the mix hitting the formwork at no more than 19C. The mix must be vibrated. These are the two prime factors. The rest you will find linked here: http://www.cement.org/tech/index.asp george
Your water may vary in wetness or the package may vary in moisture.
Concrete wetness really doesn't matter except for it not getting all mixed (too dry) or too wet and it runs away on you. The consistency is only for your convenience of forming and working with it.
Keep in mind concrete does not dry to harden but rather cure. Throw a bag of pre-mixed into the bottom of a river and it will still cure.
--------------------------- "Gooey" wrote in message
I bought one of those 3.5 cu ft Cement Mixers from HFT and mixed two 80# bags of SAKRETE concrete mix accodring to the directions adding (at first) .75 gallons of water per bag.
The mix was dry. And balls of mix developed .75" to about 1.5" and rolled about the mixer without mixing in very well.
I wound up adding more water about a gallon per bag to get a mix that looked something like the mix the pros bring when I order several years from a regular cement truck. Or the mixes I used to do in a shallow plastic tub with hoe and rake to mix the SAKRETE.
Adding the water was essential to getting a mix I felt comfortable with - with the exception that I fear the additional water might effectively ruin the mix and deck footers I was pouring.
I thought to ask here in case anyone had experience mixing concrete in a similar mixer or the one from HFT.
Or maybe one of you can point me to a source that will help answer my questions. Thank you.
On 7/18/11 12:10 PM, Josepi wrote:

Brilliant.
--

-MIKE-

On 07/18/2011 12:18 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

You beat me to it.
On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:34:12 -0500, Steve Turner

Why are you two feeding the damned trolls? Or do you -want- to make into our twit filters, too? <sigh>
-- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. -- Sophocles
On 7/18/11 4:48 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, I'm starting to get in that boat with ya.
--

-MIKE-

err...how *i s* that working for you, Larry. You have all the personas Josepi is using, tagged?
Why am I shaking my head :-/

Quite appropriate title for the file. Your "naming convention" is very much a self made (homemade) initiative.. like some guys call their vehicles "her" you like to own your data, put yer name on it, like?

Like that will help a lot:-/
Do get used to the noise, Larry. It is you "fingers in ears types" who have allowed and will allow Josepi+* Voice. Be the victim. george

I s e e that :->>>
http://image.automotive.com/f/featuredvehicles/chevy/9302556+pheader/0708st_01_z+2001_chevrolet_s10+running_shot.jpg
Not a truck... that's a "ute".
And a Holden(!!) ute at that..bchlek! So I have to agree with your 'naming'<g>
Here is the Aussie shiela of like genre.
http://sacars.com.au/uploads/csv/23_25544_3.jpg

I uploaded the Aussie version of "small truck".
    Newsgroups: alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking     Subject: Not a Ute - Tojo2010_hunterV.JPG
On my sixth.. these are a reliable workhorse nary requiring a spanner... until you hit something. Smash 'em..?.. cash 'em is the best action. The Japs need the scrapmetal.

Yeh, "beetle green".. like as in Shellac. Just to keep the post topical, like<G>

Me. I am tolerant of such idiosyncrasies in women. This, as, like Eskimos, they are warm where covered with fur. I know where me sausage gets 'grilled' best... mheh george
-MIKE- wrote:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pidt&pcid
lowers surface tension. technically, it would make water 'wetter'.
Ohhh... the tension goes deep into the roots of the group, not just the surface.
------- "chaniarts" wrote in message http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pidt&pcid
lowers surface tension. technically, it would make water 'wetter'.
On 7/18/11 12:41 PM, chaniarts wrote:

Well, that wouldn't be water, now, would it. That would be "water plus additive."
That's no different than saying, your water may have more caffeine than other water and what you're actually talking about is coffee.
Why am I even explaining this?
--

-MIKE-

compulsion?
heh,, try mine on for size? http://groups.google.com/groups/search?as_q=&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num 0&scoring=&lr=&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny 11&as_maxd=1&as_maxm=1&as_maxy 11&as_ugroup=&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=chaniarts%40yahoo.com&safe=off
... at a quick look I would offer you got hooked with a GymmyBob sock. GB/Bengi/Josepi has a wide selection... and two computers aided by a single swivel chair.
If you had spent some time in <a.home.repair> around 2008/9 you would know the ass well. george
-MIKE- wrote:

But not very well. There is water, then there is water.
With distilled water, you can float a paper clip on its surface. In some locals, there are enough dissolved solids to lower the surface tension sufficiently so the paper clip will not float.
Distilled water is an insulator. Non-distilled water is a conductor.
And so on.
Wow! Sure is a lot of A.D.D. in this group!
The poor OP gets one decent answer and the trolls want to fish for suckers based on an expression that entices the troll bait suckers.
Pathetic... just pathetic. We must be pretty bored. (here comes the disputes about using the word `pretty`)
--------------------- "HeyBub" wrote in message
But not very well. There is water, then there is water.
With distilled water, you can float a paper clip on its surface. In some locals, there are enough dissolved solids to lower the surface tension sufficiently so the paper clip will not float.
Distilled water is an insulator. Non-distilled water is a conductor.
And so on.
On 7/18/11 3:32 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I guess you can go ahead and used distilled water for your concrete if it makes you feel better.
--

-MIKE-