deck posts to cement

For a couple of my deck posts I would like to use existing concrete. Where can I get concrete anchors for this purpose and does one use some sort of glue to keep the bolt from moving? I live in Pasadena CA.

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
Pykirk

I used a 1/2" dia "expansion or wedge" anchor such as made by "redhead" or "hilti". A 1/2" dia hole is drilled into the concrete, the anchor "tapped" in with a hammer. As the anchor is tightened it will wedge tight against the sides of the hole.

Over that, is used an adjustable base anchor that had a slotted base for lateral adjustment. A plate covers the bolt and the sides fold up and nail to the post (4x4 in my case). These items were readily available at my local lumber yard where I purchased the deck material and they are quite inexpensive.

Any good lumber yard employee should be able to help you locate these items.

Good luck.

Reply to
ks_av8r

At work when they built stuff they used the anchor bolts like you mention. When those failed (usually they were okay) then went in with some sort of epoxy, that always worked. The building inspectors made them do a stress test, we're in earthquake country as well.

Reply to
Charles

The sleeved anchors are OK, but once they're in, they're in for good (unless you drill them out with a steel bit). I prefer lag shields and anchors because they can be removed easily (like when a bolt becomes stripped)

Reply to
Dennis