deck posts

I would like to use non-pressure treated posts for my deck because I need the posts to look good (they will create the gazebo and railing as well). Am I ok if I treat the bottoms with Jasco and elevate the posts above the concrete footings, or should I treat the posts with something else?

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
Pykirk

The kinds of stuff that will view your posts as lunch depends upon what part of the world you are in and whether you paint or varnish. I am not familiar with Jasco (indeed DAGS did not turn up anything with which one would coat posts), but sealing ends is never a bad idea. Raising the posts above the footings is always a good idea.

As to the posts themselves, some like to have it simply weather and turn gray. If you want to seal (and reseal periodically) you can use just about any kind of wood. Look into using redwood, cyprus, teak, pau lope, and other types of varmint resistant woods, or even some of the man-made stuff like trex. Personally, my deck is redwood coated with SuperDeck which is a stain/tung oil/varnish combo. Time will tell if this is any good. Thompson's Water Seal lasts until the first rain, IMHO.

mahalo, jo4hn

Pykirk wrote:

Reply to
jo4hn

Hey Tom,

In my area of the world, around Toronto, minimum six inches of concrete above grade and in a saddle is code. Have used cedar this way and the deck that is now about thirteen years old is still 100%, mind you the home owner I built the dack for pressure washes it and puts protectant on it every two years.

Good luck,

Blair

Reply to
Blair