Decided on my next project

I've decided on my next project. I'll need some pointers if you have any to spare - but I'll try not to wheedle too much.

So My intent is on making a gun cabinet, out of poplar. Poplar is cheap, stable, and smooth grained. My idea is to build a roughly rectangular unadorned cabinet built slightly into the wall so that outright removal wouldn't be possible without utterly destroying the cabinet. I figure anyone with enough equipment to smash a 1" reinforced plank could take care of a metal locker just as easily. For dimensions I'm looking at at least

54" high interior space, 6" deep, 3 feet wide.

So I guess the front, sides, and top will be poplar, the back and bottom will be plywood. As for legs, is there any definite advantage to having legs on a cabinet, or is it a matter of personal preference? Since I'm building it into the wall I wasn't intending on it having legs. As for the hardware, I haven't quite figured out how that's going to work, I would very much like a locking bar style lock so that forcing the door open without turning the lock wouldn't happen.

Reply to
Eigenvector

| So My intent is on making a gun cabinet, out of poplar. Poplar is | cheap, stable, and smooth grained. My idea is to build a roughly | rectangular unadorned cabinet built slightly into the wall so that | outright removal wouldn't be possible without utterly destroying | the cabinet. I figure anyone with enough equipment to smash a 1" | reinforced plank could take care of a metal locker just as easily. | For dimensions I'm looking at at least 54" high interior space, 6" | deep, 3 feet wide.

Poplar should work well for you. I used it (and plywood) for the solar panels shown at and it machined well, took TB3 well, and took both a wipe-on coat of poly (in areas to be exposed to weather) and paint (interior) without hassle. I pre-drilled for all screws (to fasten aluminum trim over and around glazing) but am not sure that would be strictly necessary. It was firm enough that none of the screws stripped out.

I would expect that it should hold up well for an interior application like a gun cabinet - but I won't know about my exterior application for at least another ten years or so...

The old saying is that "locks are only good to keep out honest people and children" and I tend to agree. A dishonest adult with the right tools can break into about anything.

| So I guess the front, sides, and top will be poplar, the back and | bottom will be plywood. As for legs, is there any definite | advantage to having legs on a cabinet, or is it a matter of | personal preference? Since I'm building it into the wall I wasn't | intending on it having legs. As for the hardware, I haven't quite | figured out how that's going to work, I would very much like a | locking bar style lock so that forcing the door open without | turning the lock wouldn't happen.

I'd let the cabinet sit on the floor and design in some drawers for cleaning equipment, specialized tools, and ammuntion. FWIW, I'd keep the ammo as close to the floor as could be managed. We all hope never to have a house fire, but if/when they happen it's a lot better to have the ammo down low where it'll be coolest (least hot).

Morris Dovey

Well actually for the ammunition I never store guns and ammo next to each other - so that won't be a consideration for me. But I might consider having a store box for the bolts, as I don't store the bolts for the rifles with the rifle

Reply to
Eigenvector

Sounds like a good plan. I've been a bit twitchy about ammunition and fires ever since the day I crawled all over a fully-engulfed house looking for people - and by the time I got back outdoors, the homeowner had arrived and told our captain about the six cases of ammunition. This very nervous fireman changed tanks and went back (with help) to fetch out the explosives.

I store bolts in the firearms - it's the firing pins I store separately.

Morris Dovey

What with the thieves on the rampage, you might consider a gun safe surrounded by cabinetry - like an armoire.

Reply to
HeyBub

The only thing about poplar is it's soft. I can imagine that even if you're careful taking metal things in and out of it is going to get it banged up a bit. Maybe a hard maple face frame?

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I hear you, but I've decided that dings and dents aren't a concern here. It's not really made for show, so much as its made to store. But, if I can find maple at a reasonable price I'm willing to change my mind. I think I might have found a supplier of hardwood that sells for better than what I can get from a traditional lumber store. So when I get a free moment I might go scouting.

Reply to
Eigenvector