decent tip to make rolling cabinets stationary

Page 1 of 2
view here:
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2008/07/10/ws /

That's pretty cool! I have a problem with my router table that could be helped a lot by this..
The only obvious change that I'd make, as I work a lot with rare earth magnets, is to NOT epoxy the magnet to the foot.. For a couple of bucks, you can get matching cups for them.. easier to mount/reuse and a stronger hold.. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pX750&cat=1,42363,42348
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 05:08:09 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor

I made one of those flip tables which houses my drum sander and planer. It has wheel lock issues. This is the solution. Thanks, man.

Well it looks good on paper but how stable is it if you are pushing on it? Don't you push it to get it back on it's wheels? There seems to be a lot of stress on those piano hinges.
I am looking for a simple design for a bigger work bench and am looking more towards lowering and raising the wheels. Something not totally unlike the way the PM 2000 TS moves around.
"Leon" wrote:

The solution used on the Delta Table Saw mobile base works well.
You won't go wrong patterning your solution after it.
Lew

A seperate mobile base?
I'll have to think about that, I curently have added 5 mobile bases to the pieces of equipment that do not have built in mobility. I'm actually hoping to go a bit more elegant but that would certainly would be a way to go. Thanks for the reminder.
"Leon" wrote:

Yep, a simple step-on over center crank to bring the wheel into play.
Simple, Safe, LowCost.
3 out of 3 ain't bad.
Lew

can you explain more?
"cc" wrote:

Make you a deal.
Go look at the actual Delta Mobile Base.
If you need more info after that, will try to help.
--
Lew

Lew Hodgett wrote:

I used two heavy duty wheels and just the swivel lift mechanism from the Delta Mobile Base for my table saw/Jointer cabinet. There is a LOT of weight on the thing but is is not hard to lift one end while stepping on the swivel to lift just one end. Works perfect and is super stable.
You can see some pictures of the cabinet here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23915904@N04/2273891435/in/set-72157603932038342 /
Click on +all sizes to see the larger picture.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

How about the rolling work bench plans video. See ABPW.
wrote in message

Yeah I remember that one. My concern is the work bench is probably going to be a traditionally style, thick top, with a storage chest below. Weight is probably going to be up there and I really don't want to do any lifting to get it up on it's wheels or visa versa. I would not mind inexpensive hydraulic bottle jacks to lower the wheels or some type of screw jack.
Thanks for the reminder.
These folks carry a LOT of industrial type products.
http://www.reidsupply.com/results.aspx?N 05761&Nao=0&On05761
Leon wrote:

Here are some other ideas:
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 1-100&search=Leveler
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 7-023&search=Leveler
Leon wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net says...

I have totally worked around that problem by doing it the other way round with my over-and-under planer/thicknesser: It's the wheels that fold down, not the support. So when in use, it stands on its own sturdy feet, and when I want to move it, I fold down the wheels, lock the fold-down assembly with a small pushbolt and away we go. -P.
I don't understand why you don't just start with locking wheels - two non-swivel on one end and swivel on the other. They make swivel wheels which can have both the wheel rotation AND swivel lock. No lifting the cabinet that 1/4.
charlie b

Good idea. I bought these ones from LV when I was moving my 600 lb entertainment centre into my apartment over twelve years ago. I made myself two sets of dollies using these casters and have been using these dollies ever since for other stuff. They're an excellent set of locking wheels.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p@133&cat=1,240
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 05:08:09 -0700, Limp Arbor wrote:

The easiest thing to use that I have found to keep any thing that rolls in one place temporarily is a short length of chain that I whip around the base of any caster wheel, from one on a cabinet to the caster on a utility trailer. The chain can be sized from small ball type chain that is used as a pull cord for a ceiling fan for small casters on cabinets to 5/16 link chain for the utility trailer. Match the size chain to the size of the caster.

Seems like every time I try to roll something, that's what stops it.. ;-[
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
When I put my bench on 6 3" castors, I was concerned about having to chase it around the shop when I did planing, etc.
I planned to make 2-4 wedges that I could kick under the edge of the bench, for stability. They'd were gonna have a handle or something on them so I could jerk them out when I wanted to move the bench.
When I got done, the darn thing was so heavy that I have to heave with all my weight just to budge it. Haven't needed the wedges.
I still think they were a good, simple idea, and will try them on the next piece of rolling stock I make.
Old Guy