Decent exterior paint?

Any comments on a decent exterior house paint?
Was at the local HD and they recommended the Bear paint. Been there done that. Used the Bear brand on one wall in a bathroom. More or less fell off (yes it was prepped well). Glidden went on nice. I think the Bear name is all marketing.
So on the exterior what is good these days? Not the whole house as I have vinyl siding. Just a couple of doors and jams.
Chris
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.
Chris wrote:

That would be Behr...

Did the whole barn w/ Behr oil-base undercoat and high-gloss latex topcoat. Sprayed well, held well through KS winter and summer w/ no problems.
I recommend it.

OK Behr, it is. But it was a bear to keep on the wall.?? Trying to save face.
Wonder how it would compare if brushed..
The interior stuff was pretty think. Did you have to thin to spray it?
Chris wrote:

Oil primer, no. Latex top coat just a little.
Don't think there would be any difference one way or the other. The trim was mostly brushed, and we brushed in the sprayed to get good coverage as it was old wood toungue and groove siding.
It was, however, the premium paint, not one of the low end ones.

From what I understood there was not more enamel paint. I only have the door jams so the enamels would be nice if still available. I have heard that the latexes are just that good that they pretty much put the enamels on the back burner.
Chris

There are plenty of enamels around, both acrylic and oil base. Some of the waterborne acrylics are impressive.
I use Graham paint most of the time. When we had my house built 5 years ago we used Graham Ceramic flat on the walls and Ceramic satin on the trim. Five years later it all looks good. Cleans well and stands up to some abuse. We have 4 kids.
For the record I do not work for Graham or do I sell their products.
Roger
Chris wrote:

Our local Home Depot and Sherwin Williams has stopped carrying "solvent" based enamels. I was able to get an oil based enamel at a Benjamin Moore dealer. Great one coat coverage (chocolate brown over a white primer) and the price was half of what Sherwin Williams used to charge. I can't say how it holds up as it was applied about three weeks ago.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Chris wrote:

I painted my house with Glidden Endurance. Latex satin finish. Got very good coverage per can, of course it depends on what you covering. I have used Behr in the past. I feel Glidden has better performance. TP
I've had really good experience with Benjamin Moore. Costs a bit more but worth every penny

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Yeah but, he said Bear paint. Probably made in a low technology country that spelled English just by the sound. :)

I read a Consumer Reports recently (though I think the report was about a year old) on exterior paints. They rated the Behr as top, but like you I've not been that impressed with it.
I've had good success with Ace branded paint. The porch trim and columns I painted 6 years ago look very good with no areas of peeling or failure. I prepped very well, applied Ace alkyd primer and then two coats of Ace exterior white.
My home is c.1920, painted many times and thus all the trim needs to be stripped back to practically bare wood due to excess paint build up. Every year I tackle specific trim features using the same two Ace products and all still look good. The porch area just happens to be the oldest area that I've reworked.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

OK,, I have painted several houses in the last 6 or 7 years. Sears, "LIFETIME" Weatherbeater. Also covers very well and goes on easy.
behr is BORG crap. Its the worst of the worst. Its their store brand if you didn't know that.
Outside - I have had great results with Benjamin Moore and the top of the line Pittsburgh Paints (Manor Hall IIRC). The cheap Pittsburgh paint is better than Behr but still not the best.
I think sherwin williams is crap too although others may recomend it. I had a bad experience with it. Maybe I had a bad batch.

No wrote:

Behr is HD's featured brand, true. That it is a "store brand" is not. Behr Paint has been around for a long time before there was either an orange or even blue box store. It was primarily a West Coast brand as it is (or at least was initially) a CA-based company iirc. I'm thinking it was a post WWII startup, maybe?
Let's see....aha! yes...you might look at
http://www.behr.com/behrx/about/?globalnav out
before you rant too much more...
In terms of carried solids and other measures, Behr's quality is right in line w/ any of the other major manufacturers at the same or similar price points. In paint, it is generally true that one gets what one pays for.
As has been noted far too many times to repeat, preparation is more important than specific paint brands and the quality of the paint is dependent on the price point of the specific paint in every line.
I've found Glidden to also be good value...

You could just about say the same when comparing Mecredes to Ford or Chevrolet. Yes there are some Chevrolets and Fords that are more expensive than some Mercedes products. They all have about the same materials. Whats missing may be quality control or something important in the actual manufacturing process. Personally, I have found Behr to be inferrior to any brand paint when it comes to applying the product and the product staying put. In the last 8 years my friend and I have painted the exterior and interiors of 8 or 9 homes. When the customer supplied the Behr paint whe had the most problems. We absolutely have had the best luck with the Sears/"Sherwin Williams produced" TOP OF THE LINE paints. A pleasure to work with and no recalls from customers.
Leon wrote:

That doesn't match my experience. I have had equal or better results and far easier application of the "top of the line" Behr as compared to S-W. The S-W has been by far the more difficult to apply w/ no discernible difference in performance at something like 20% higher purchase price. That's what I've applied--the S-W that was put on for Dad has been very poor performing but I attribute at least most of that to poor prep as opposed to the paint itself. I started out w/ the same product, but the difficulty in brushing and tendency to set excessively fast in the dry conditions made me change.
The Sears here is a catalog store and has very poor selection/service so haven't used any Sears-branded paints for quite some time. In TN where there were stores better set up, did have good success, but the weather there isn't <nearly> as hard on exterior surfaces as it is here. I'd expect Sears to do pretty well, though, and if it were as simple to get product, I'd probably have tried some.

I am sure climate has a lot to do with how a particular brand holds up. The Sears Best Weatherbeater with the Life Time warranty has polyurethane added and requires no prep. IIRC the directions say to simply paint over old paint, bare wood, and dirt. For me, it has become my ideal paint.
Leon wrote:

I have <no clue> how one could expect <anything> to stay on over an unsound substrate.