Decent Cordless Drill Under $35????

Page 1 of 2
Anyone have good luck with inexpensive cordless drills of 12V or higher? I am looking for one (3/8 reversible) to be used maybe for 1/2 hr to 1 hr per month actual drill time. Will be drilling holes less than 1/2 inch in diameter and a few inches deep.. Looking for one that takes some inexpensive (cheap) batteries too. Was thinking about HF but thought I would check here first. Not looking for any kind of heavy duty construction model. -thanks
Drop the cordless requirement and you might find a decent drill for $35.
On 17 Jan 2005 05:02:25 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I agree. A cheap corded drill will outperform and outlast the most expensive cordless drill.
there is NO such thing as a "decent" $35.00 cordless drill....perhaps a reality check is in order Save your money...borrow or rent one or do without till you can afford a "decent" drill.....no need to through away your money! Just mho.....good luck
snipped-for-privacy@ccrtc.com wrote in

I'm not the OP, but the batteries of my old 9.6 V Crapsman gave out. At ~ 25-30 per replacement battery, I'd like to know what the best cordless drills/drivers would be in the $50-75 and $75-$125 ranges.
I want to avoid buying something with as limited a lifespan as my current drill. I'm NOT a heavy duty user, just an occasional hobbyist.
--
Best regards
Han

Then buy a corded drill. Even the best cordless can have batter failure in a year or two. I got 18 months from a Ryobi and the replacement batteries cost more than the drill that comes with two batteries. You may get more, you may get less.

My 18v Ryobis are about 4 years old and are still doing fine. I guess I got more.

Three years and going strong on my original 18v batteries. I bought three new ones at HD for $35 CAD each and the difference is negligible. I'm sold on 18v Ryobi for homeowners.
-Brian

Cordless tools (the batteries) all have a limitted life. Under heavy pro use expect a year or two, but even for a hobbyist I would not *expect* more than six years of battery life. You may do better, but technology is just not good enough to produce a 20-year tool.
-Steve
Got a very decent cordless drill for less than $35.00 on ebay. A very lightly used 9.6v Makita, the seller included the box, and a set of driver bits. Got it shipped for less than $30.00. Thanks again Dan.
They're out there, you've just gotta look for them.
As for a brand spanking new drill for under $35.00, nothing very nice that's for sure.
John Emmons

Mon, Jan 17, 2005, 12:01am (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@covad.net (buck) asks: Anyone have good luck with inexpensive cordless drills <snip>
Oh, yes indeed. Three actually. One brace, with a set of bits, probably ran around $25 total. And two eggbeater drills, one somewhat larger than the other, ran around $15 for both. All three work great.
Any other drilling, I have a bench drill press, and several corded drills.
No, come to think of it, I do have two battery powered drills. One is at the older son's, haven't seen it in years. Apparently it works OK. Got another, brand new, don't think it's ever been used, out in the shop somewhere.
In my personal opinion, unless you're working daily in jobsites with no power, battery powered drills are pretty much a PITA.
JOAT Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get. - Albert
I am not sure you van get a decent 12 volt battery for less than $50.

You can, with patience, find a used 12v on ebay for that price. It would have to be a local pickup to avoid the freight.
Yeah, I have had good luck with my Stanley 03-043 push drill, although the largest hole I have drilled with it is 11/64ths. My racheting brace works well too, although I am not sure that you could buy a decent used one with bits at $35 without some serious Garage Saleing. Seriously, though I use a B&D VersaPak drill quite a bit as it is light and easy to hang on the pegboard. You can probably get one on ebay pretty cheap and the batteries are about $10 each at K-Mart (it takes two). Dave Hall
Try your local pawn shop. They always seem to have name brand stuff cheaper than retail. They will dicker on the price to. GT

cordless tools don't take well to sitting on the shelf unused. if it sits for a month, the battery will be discharged, and a few times of that and it will be a dead battery- won't take a charge anymore.
for that kind of use, get a corded drill or a hand crank one.
Well..... I always go with the majority thinks and in this case I will get a better and more expensive drill or I will forgo one altogether seeing that it will be sitting so much of the time. Thanks to all for help!!!

For your requirements I would suggest the 18V "Drillmaster" from Harbor Freight. Often on sale for $15 or so. I have a couple of these and it's no DeWalt or Milwaukee by any means, but for $15 it's not much of a risk.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Well, $19.99 for occasional use......Jeez, I'm sure you've spent more than that on pizza.... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber396

I've not used this, but it almost meets your requirements. http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID 2737