Debugging lacquer.

Sprayed some Deft on an item I spent THREE WEEKS making.

The finish looks nice on one side.

Turn it over, and there's a damn MOSQUITO stuck splayed out like it tried to stop itself when it realized what it was about to hit.

I wasn't very successful at removing the mosquito.

I'd like some advice before I screw this up any further.

Reply to
Silvan

It's not a bug... It's a feature.

;-)

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:17:07 -0400, Silvan brought forth from the murky depths:

Find some nice, fine-point tweezers and pluck it out when still wet. (Fat chance of that now, huh?)

I guess there are two choices:

1) Find a solvent which will clean it (the flat surface in question) off swimmingly and respray that surface.

or

2) Sand 'er down, tack 'er off, and do it again.

===================================================================== -=Everything in Moderation,=- NoteSHADES(tm) glare guards -=including moderation.=-

Larry Jaques

Yeah, well, I can't argue with that logic. It *is* a feature for sure.

Reply to
Silvan

Remember "Jurassic Park" and the mosquito in the amber? Could you pretent it's that kind of feature?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

A little lacquer thinner will remove the lacquer AND the insect. Rub a little thinner on the area, clean it up, then respray.

Jim Stuyck

Reply to
Jim Stuyck

Furthermore it wasn't a mosquito. it was a "feepiing".

Just another instance of feeping creaturism.

Reply to
admin

This used to happen to cars when my father would paint in enamel and lacquer in the 50's because there was a pig farm about 1/2 mile away to generate an unlimited supply of flys to walk through the wet paint.

First trick: Hang around wet finish and remove the insect with tweezers, the finish will often flow back as it sets.

Second trick: With lacquer (not slow drying enamel) get some polishing compound, and hand buff the surface and insect, you will buff the surface smooth. If you have a lot of coats, you may need little else, if there is only one or a thin layer of lacquer, you may have to recoat -- be care full to not go through the finish, especially if it is near an edge.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Yeah, it was too late for that 15 minutes after I sprayed it.

Who said anything about *flat*?

Either of those is going to suck. The item in question really doesn't have much of any flat to it. I sanded the parts individually before assembling them, and now that everything is glued together (about 15 very small parts), there's nothing easy about that prospect.

It's only part of a mosquito now. Just the legs. In retrospect, it would probably have been more amusing to leave the whole thing.

I guess I'll just chisel the legs out and re-spray and let it go. That or dip the whole thing in some kind of stripper, but no, I'll just fake it as best I can and leave it alone.

Excrement occurs.

Reply to
Silvan

Use a razor blade as a scraper and carefully remove the parts.

Nova

Dang it! Warn a fellow would you? [Where's the Windex and paper towels?]. You do know how hard it is to get tea off a screen, don't ya?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

UGH!

Reply to
Silvan

OK, you can all turn off your thinking caps now, and thanks. I pretty much did just that. It was a pocket knife. Same difference.

Actually, the finish looks OK after all that. I buffed it out with my shirt tail, and I can't see the trouble spot. I might not bother to re-spray, since I broke my respirator, and have no particular desire to experience lacquer fumes again.

Probably I'll just paste wax it from here and let it go.

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
Bob Bowles

Years ago I worked for a homebuilder who hired a painterwho had a day job at Proctor and Gamble or somewhere like that. Did all his paintings after hours and on weekends. He brought in a crew and painted the walls and ceilings in one night using bright lights. Another guy and myself must've spent 40 hours or more sanding all the bugs out. The house was near the Little Miami River in summer or late spring and a massive hatch of mayflies (or something like that) occured. Not to mention mosquitoes and beetles.We had to repaint the entire house.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin L. Bowling

LMAO!