Death Match: Maple vs. Everlast Wood Screws - Who will survive?

I needed to throw together a sliding table for my table saw to cut some circles from a 2 x 8. (Emergency garbage can repair - the plastic wheels cracked, so I made 2 wooden ones.)
I had a scrap of maple so I cut a runner and grabbed a package of borg-bought #6 x 5/8" wood screws that I had in a drawer. I was confident that I wouldn't split the runner with the small screws so I didn't pre-drill.
The first screw went through the plywood and snugged up nicely in the maple. The second one drove down to the head and then just spun. I had to pry it out because it just spun in both directions.
When I got it out, I found this:
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/20150829_134526_zpsjmau4n7b.jpg
It sure shows how crappy these screws are, seeing that a piece of maple was able to strip the threads completely off.
Maple's too hard not to pre-drill. In my opinion.
Tom
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
I needed to throw together a sliding table for my table saw to cut some circles from a 2 x 8. (Emergency garbage can repair - the plastic wheels cracked, so I made 2 wooden ones.)
I had a scrap of maple so I cut a runner and grabbed a package of borg-bought #6 x 5/8" wood screws that I had in a drawer. I was confident that I wouldn't split the runner with the small screws so I didn't pre-drill.
The first screw went through the plywood and snugged up nicely in the maple. The second one drove down to the head and then just spun. I had to pry it out because it just spun in both directions.
When I got it out, I found this:
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/20150829_134526_zpsjmau4n7b.jpg
It sure shows how crappy these screws are, seeing that a piece of maple was able to strip the threads completely off.

Still, any screw not made from Velvita should have broken, not lost its threads.
On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 3:28:44 PM UTC-4, tdacon wrote:

5/8" screws, full 1/4" plywood. I wasn't worried. It was just a quick job using scraps, it didn't really matter if there was a problem. 2 screws held fine, that one stripped.
(The cross cut sleds I made this winter have expanded and don't fit right now. I didn't want to spend time (or rush) fixing them today, so I threw this one together just to get the wheels made.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

If you could read Spanish, it says de Cabeza-- Only to be used in cabbage.
--
GW Ross

I'm so old, restaurants want payment
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 11:35:14 -0700 (PDT)

cutting circles on a table saw and making wheels for a trashcan
at least two points get added to your woodworking fu
the trashcan flap that swings to allow placing trash in it got lost so i made a new one from some redwood
well i had to add an accent of aromatic cedar along the peak