Death by Sawdust

Okay, I'm really hurting today. The night before last, I made the mistake of removing my mask after routing some plywood, and last night, my mask wasn't well sealed (apparently) against my face. Now I've got the worst cold-like affliction.

Two questions: Do cold medicines work for this? What *should* I be using for respiratory protection, instead of these green, cheapo, elastic-band masks?

Wheeze, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Jackson

Lots of info here.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Try this stuff(or similar non drug nasal flush) after a sanding, cutting or other session to flush out the particulate matter from the old snozzola.

doc at the local med school is marketing a similar product, which is basically just a weak saline solution, and says it's as good as those high $ over-the-counter cold sprays for relief of symptoms such as yours....(..do I sound like Paul Harvey????)

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

The double elastic paper masks for use with asbestos work well.

Reply to
Rumpty

Something else to consider if you can swing it. Put your self between the work you are sanding and a fan. The fan will blow the dust away from you. This works best if the fan blows towards an open window or door.

Reply to
Leon

I've been using a "neti pot" for some while now to flush out my nose/sinuses. Incidentally, I started using one for sinus infections, and then figured out that it would work great for sawdust. Basically, it's a pot that holds tap water; you add a small amount of table salt to make it salinated, and then stick the spigot up one nostril and let the water flow through your sinuses and out the other side. It sounds really gross, but MAN does it work.

DAGS on "neti pot" with the quotes and you'll see some examples. I made mine from a standard kitchen gravy separator (like this one:

but at Wal Mart for $3 or so) and a cake icing funnel tip - total cost of about $5.

Cheers,

Reply to
Henry Webb

DustFoe. This mask is incredible and seals tightly against the face with one-way value operation. You owe it to your health. Get a pack of extra filters. It may not work well with a beard or stubble.

Reply to
Phisherman

A really good urethane mask that uses replaceable filters.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Hi Jamie.

Different people have different thresholds of tolerance. Different woods have different degrees of toxicity. If you're that distressed after what sounds like a relatively short exposure, then you really need to look at a proper respirator or a blown air face shield. Both are expensive and neither are much fun to wear. You also need to consider an air filtration system for your shop and point extraction for your sander.

It's all expensive kit, but your lungs are priceless.

Regards,

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

I just picked up an AOSafety mask with two replaceable filters at HF for around $25. Ace has the same for around $30. Haven't had an ounce of dust get through, and it totally stopped the paint thinner and oil-based paint smells as well. And it doesn't fog my glasses up like the cheapie ones.

--randy

Reply to
Randy Chapman

Yea, I just started using the same thing. Its great for woodturning. I dont even get the Cya glue fumes.

Reply to
Leslie Gossett

Not so funny that you mention it. For the past few years I almost always have one or two projects going constantly. The past three weeks I haven't been in the shop at all because of a "lung infection" ... which means they can't figure out what it really is, but treated it with anitbiotics anyway. I'm almost over it now, but have been waiting for it to clear up completely before starting anything else.

I suspected that it came from working with walnut, but the doctors didn't think so. ITMT, I could be the OSHA poster boy with all the stuff I had hanging off my mug when I walked out there to sand a table top for someone yesterday.

The medicine that helped the most was Guanefesin (sp), It is prescription, but, while you're on your way to get an xray, which you should do, see if you can get the doctor to prescribe it.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.meganetnews.com:

There's a new OTC stuff called 'Mucinex' that's a time released formula of guaifenesin (or however that crap is spelled). You may have to search around, and ask your pharmacist.

The local Walgreens' had it behind the counter; the local Rite-Aid didn't have it in stock, but could get it in a couple of days.

Me too, with a sinus infection right now (and SWMBO, too ...)

Hope this helps,

JT

Reply to
John Thomas

Please don't take antibiotics unless you know you have a non-viral infection. There is an ever growing problem of drug-resistant diseases due to overuse of antibiotics. Do yourself a favor and don't kill bugs that don't need to be killed.

Dennis Vogel

Reply to
dennisvogel

Well, guaifenesin is the "standard" expectorant ingredient in OTC cough syrups, sometimes spelled guaiphenesin, which ought to make it easier to get a smaller dose. Loosens up the mucus. Production of same is the reaction to irritants, and is designed to wash them from your system.

As to antibiotics for lung infections, if your doctor prescribes antibiotics without labs, it's because waiting for results can kill you. Bacterial infections are faster than viral, which depend on the body's own cellular reproduction.

By the "logic" of the anti antibiotic group we should not wash out hands either, as we are selecting for bacteria which resist mechanical sloughing and surfactant lysing. Oprah notwithstanding, the DNA of bacteria is limited in its coding ability. Resistance to one variety of antibiotic often develops at the expense of losing resistance to another. If no advantage, the genome sheds loose baggage. Darwin giveth and also taketh away.

Reply to
George

Jamie,

I contacted 3M and here is what they recommended and what I purchased.

One 7500 dust mask for a whopping $20. Two 6001 Organic vapor cartriges for $7 bucks a pair. Two prefilters for the cartriges for 4 bucks a pair.

The mask is super comfortable. The air that you breath is always cool. And my cough went away.

You might want to look into a dust collector and maybe an ambient air cleaner.

Check this site out. He has tons of dust collection info.

Simpson

Reply to
grampa simpson

I've read all the responses, thanks. I'll check into all of the following (since I'm still getting over this):

*Expectorants *Nose sprays and "neti-pots" (the latter sounds like a good time ;-) *Use of window fans *DCs *Ambient Air Cleaners *Alternative masks mentioned

I think I did manage to figure out 90% of my problem, though: Somehow, I had it in my head that the green masks were more protective and the white masks were less (I have both types in my garage). I had been using the green, until I was at the borg over the weekend, eyeing the "gas masks," and noticed something about the regular masks: The white ones were thick and had the two straps and the greens were for light duty. Ack, I had been using the greens! I've switched to the whites, and have been breathing no dust since, though these do still fog my glasses/goggles. Because of that, I'll probably go with a mask with cartridges, etc.

I'll probably have to rig up some kind of DC or Air Cleaner, too, since I don't want to have to wear a mask everytime I go in the garage (that router powder hangs in the air for a while, and stirs up easily).

Darn, I guess that also means that I've got to get a router with an integral DC port, or else I've got to rout outside (daylight only).

Thanks again, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Jackson