De rusted tool preservative needed.

I am constantly picking up old rusty tools at garage sales that I derust using the battery charger method (like reverse plating). It does a nice job, but other than waxing, is there an easier way to keep them from instantly rusting? I occasionally use waste engine oil, but it makes them real oily (duh). My thinking was to maybe thin the oil so it still covers, but soaks in a bit, or excess runs off. Has anyone else experimented with this idea?
I don't like wax because it must be buffed out or else it looks bad because of all the buildup in the hard to get to areas. I melt paste wax an apply it with a rag, but it's a hassle to heat it up for just a tool or two. I don't mind a slight oil film-especially on mechanics tools. Ideas appreciated!
Spray with LPS.

Camphor tablets work very well if you can find them.
Steve Decker
How do you use or hook up a battery charger to remove rust? I've heard of this but never had the chance to ask someone that used this method. Thanks
--
Mike S.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net
Mike S. wrote:

DAGS. I've read all about it somewhere or other.
Here, try this one:
http://www.bhi.co.uk/hints/rust.htm
I need to borrow Dad's battery charger and try this myself, to see if I can get that bench vise un-stuck.
Thanks for the replies! Can you tell me what is LPS, and what is Camphur? I suspect that camphur is a drug stor item. (My mother used to put a product called camphurated Oil on my chest when I had a cold).
The previous post had a good site to explain the process, but you must use a battery charger that isn't automatic. What I mean is that a lot of the newer ones will shut off if hooked to a dead short like this method does.
http://www.lpslabs.com/Products/Lubricants/LPS1.asp

On 04 Oct 2003 12:03:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ToolMiser) Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip
LPS is the same thing as WD-40
Traves
Not even close. The only resemblence is they both come in a spray can.
"Traves W. Coppock" <newsgroups-AT-farmvalleywoodworks-DOT-com> wrote in message (ToolMiser) Crawled out

RIG. Look for it at gun stores. Get the grease. On 04 Oct 2003 01:03:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ToolMiser) wrote:

I use something called SHEATH by Birchwood Casey found at gun shops or Sports Authority works great.