De rusted tool preservative needed.

I am constantly picking up old rusty tools at garage sales that I derust using the battery charger method (like reverse plating). It does a nice job, but other than waxing, is there an easier way to keep them from instantly rusting? I occasionally use waste engine oil, but it makes them real oily (duh). My thinking was to maybe thin the oil so it still covers, but soaks in a bit, or excess runs off. Has anyone else experimented with this idea?

I don't like wax because it must be buffed out or else it looks bad because of all the buildup in the hard to get to areas. I melt paste wax an apply it with a rag, but it's a hassle to heat it up for just a tool or two. I don't mind a slight oil film-especially on mechanics tools. Ideas appreciated!

Reply to
ToolMiser

Spray with LPS.

Reply to
CW

Camphor tablets work very well if you can find them.

Steve Decker

Reply to
Steve Decker

How do you use or hook up a battery charger to remove rust? I've heard of this but never had the chance to ask someone that used this method. Thanks

Reply to
Mike S.

DAGS. I've read all about it somewhere or other.

Here, try this one:

need to borrow Dad's battery charger and try this myself, to see if I can get that bench vise un-stuck.

Reply to
Silvan

Thanks for the replies! Can you tell me what is LPS, and what is Camphur? I suspect that camphur is a drug stor item. (My mother used to put a product called camphurated Oil on my chest when I had a cold).

The previous post had a good site to explain the process, but you must use a battery charger that isn't automatic. What I mean is that a lot of the newer ones will shut off if hooked to a dead short like this method does.

Reply to
ToolMiser

On 04 Oct 2003 12:03:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ToolMiser) Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

LPS is the same thing as WD-40

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Not even close. The only resemblence is they both come in a spray can.

Reply to
CW

I use something called SHEATH by Birchwood Casey found at gun shops or Sports Authority works great.

Reply to
MM