DC setup using garbage can and y connector

Have 2 port DC with 4' openings..FH 1200 cm model (yea, I know real CM is less)plan on using a garbage can with port in/port out top for catching the larger pieces priior to hitting the DC itself...if I put a "y" off the "in" port on the lid, will I have enough suction to dedicate one run to the saw and the other run to a secondary tool? Can use blast gates to shut of either side as needed..

Would prefer to run a dedicated hose off one of the two ports at the DC itself, and then a hose to the garbage can, and then "y" off the intake port support two more tools as needed..

only envision running one tool at a time however it is set up...please reply ASAP as I hope to start the work tonight..thanks all...

Reply to
cc

Hey CC, A unit with about 1200 cfm would not effectively handle two machines so your suggestion to use blast gates is the right way to go. How long will the hose run? If it is very long , say 20 feet then you would get better efficiency if you ran a long section of 4 inch PVC overhead and dropped a hose to your machine of choice. The smooth pipe has less friction that the rippled hoses. I would run only one hose out of the DC and use your garbage can as the diverter/collector. Overall, you will probably collect most of your dust in there- depending on what type of deflector is in the trashcan. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Dude, if you are going to use pvc, make sure you run a bare,grounded wire through it. Otherwise you might go boom.

Reply to
shawn

Shawn.......

you have just triggered your own nomination for the urban legend propagation award.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

so be it. better safe than sorry.

The point is that it IS theoretically possible, and easy to guard against. (I have seen a grain elevator go off.)

Reply to
shawn

Hey Shawn, I neglected to mention that I did run bare wire in my DC plastic pipes. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

It's theoretically posible (and more likely) to get hit by a meteorite too but I'm not going to worry about it.

Reply to
CW

Oh criminy ... here we go again. :-(

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Let's not forget lightning strikes, an alien landing in the back yard, and winning Powerball.

Reply to
B A R R Y

You mean to tell me that that powerball thing is a long shot?

Reply to
shawn

In order of probability :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Play with it a little. My Delta 50-850 actually seems to run "better" with the extra port left open while the other port is hooked up.

My very large DC has a 3hp motor and I have to leave all ports open to get proper air flow. If I cut the air flow back at the unit, it slows the unit down.

cc wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

I would worry about the grounding of my home shop DC if it were powered with an improbability drive!

Reply to
B A R R Y

I can't say if a home system can generate enough static to cause an explosion or fire but...

My shop-vac sucking through a plastic hose connected to a plastic trash can connected to a flexible metal (Al?) dryer pipe connected to a plastic adapter connected to the frame of my contractor saw

can generate enough static to cause A - a visible spark between the dryer pipe and the saw B - a shock to me if I get in the way

Now I will probably win Powerball before this ever catches on fire but I may get an unexpected shock while working with sharp power tools. Luckily I have only been shocked once while underneath cleaning up but it could happen again while working.

RayV

Not likely. :-)

Reply to
shawn