DC hoses

Page 1 of 2
Any suggestions where I can find the best prices on 4" dust collection hoses? Has anyone used an alternative such as metal flex hoses or water drain hoses?
Thanks
SBH wrote:

I'm sure you've already thought of PVC.
On 12/30/2010 6:46 PM, Bill wrote:

But if you then cut oak, won't that rust ... or explode ... or something??
:-J
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

Maybe you have to soak the oak in lacquer thinner first. Of course, I think the "magical ingredient" is a piece of buckshot embedded in the wood long ago... Of course, as you know, most buckshot is lead--but you can also get steel--which is supposedly better for the waterfowl that you miss and is required in some locals, IIRC (I used to sell the stuff--no ducks to my name).
Bill
Bill wrote:

Right. Wouldn't want the ducks to die of lead poisoning.
The hazard of lead shot in the environment has been pretty-much debunked.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

However it has also been banned for waterfowl hunting in most localities in the US. And in addition to steel you can get bismuth and tungsten shot.

What is this thing about Oak? I use lots of it and am planning to get a DC sometime. Need to get the electric hook up first. WW
On 12/30/2010 9:58 PM, WW wrote:

It all started in the "Motor Reversing" thread back in October:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_frm/thread/5b6c5acd0fcbc3c8/b30cafde2dcf0ef5?hl=en&tvc=1&q=oak+rust#b30cafde2dcf0ef5
See post #250 by Josepi (one of the resident dumbasses) and my response in post #253. Ever since then we've all been very keen to point out the incredible dangers in messing around with "oak rust"... :-)

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_frm/thread/5b6c5acd0fcbc3c8/b30cafde2dcf0ef5?hl=en&tvc=1&q=oak+rust#b30cafde2dcf0ef5
Thanks Steve. Got it. WW

The devil is probably making me do this =;^}
But apparently things have changed over the past 3-5 years. With 14 posts on dust collection plumbing, and mention of the term "PVC", you would expect to get at least one "Yur gonna blow yurself all to hell" comment.
We must be smarter or just mellowing. :)
RonB
In article <1922c34a-0e8e-451c-8909-

Or one of the things that the worry-wart who was on about it used to worry about finally got him.

You just might be right, Ron. I reengaged the "grounding" bait thread but nobody bit.
-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Watch.
Tomorrow I'll blow the doors off of the front of my garage shop with a dust explosion!
(If I do, you guys will never know it.)
RonB

You don't live around Mattoon, IL, do you? Last night, I saw a brilliant white flash and then a bunch of sparks spreading out in the sky. I thought it was a firework, but obviously it was a dust collector explosion!
Puckdropper

That's a risk *only* if you use "combustable PVC" ('CPVC" for short).
The devil is in the details. <grin>

If you use WD-40 on it...

Maybe the sawdust will turn into Koa?

Let us know when you save up a 2"x4'x8' slab of it, will ya? How's the grain?
-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard
Larry Jaques wrote:

Fine ;)

<ding, ding, ding> Duct grounding thread reengaged...
-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales