DC ducts - 4" or 6"

Page 4 of 4
Roy Smith wrote:

<vbg> It takes a lot longer to change blades than to cut a piece of wood.If I had the space (I don't) and the money (I don't -- yet) why not leave a TS set up to cut double-sided melamine? <g>
BTW, the scar on my left hand from a kickback accident about 6 months ago is still visible. It wasn't really an "accident" -- I should have taken the time to put on the guard and splitter. But mounting the spiltter & guard on my Grizzly contractor table saw, and aligning them, is somewhat of a PITA. In my "dream shop" I'd have made that cut on the TS with the guard & splitter permanently installed & the accident would never have happened.
-- Mark
Mark Jerde said:

If I only had the room! I'm still trying to figure out where to put this new 14" bandsaw, and the DIY router table that will replace the plate I'm pulling out of the table saw extension.
But no matter how bad 1/2 (sometimes 3/4) of a two car garage seems, I could be in Silvan's shoes. That gets me all excited again.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Have you seen this shop? <g> http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/scrapbook /
-- Mark
Mark Jerde said:

Yes, I have. He REALLY sucks! Have you seen the clamp collection? http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/scrapbook/view.nhtml?profile=scrapbook&UID 010
Of course <snooty air>, they're NOT Bessy Full-bodies...
Greg G.
Greg G wrote...

Here's a quote of the pertinent part.
"Working with a 1100 cfm vac 3 hp running a planer walked by touched pvc pipe duct with grounding wire inside etc. woke up about two min. later aprox. five feet away leaning against the wall that stoped my forward movement!! oh yea had to replace the fire extingusher after I put the fire out. I then did the research on what osha requires for factory setups. nuff said Dave"
This is interesting! More details and a better understanding of the incident would be useful. However, note that because Dave had a wire installed inside the pipe, it is a rather poor argument in favor "grounding" PVC ducting.
Jim
Jim Wilson said:

Hmmm... Missed the mention of the wire in my quick scan. However, he DOES mention the importance of actually grounding it in the sentence above. Perhaps he hadn't actually *grounded* the wire he ran in the pipe - this would lead to quite a charge buildup. Who knows.
Greg G.
5" would be a real pain..
would have to find pipe.. no s&d.. prolly some metal somewhere
then i either have to make all new ports.. or do 5" to 4" conversions..
5" really does not seem practical.
if 6" is going to be a velocity issue.. then i will go w/ 4"
the ts, jointer, planer, and bs are all w/i 12' of the DC to the north-east
the scms is about 12' also.. but due north
the dp is about 20' due north
it's looking like i have collection needs in the lower left and upper left quadrants of the shop.. and no needs in either right quadrant
the DC sits in the lower left of the 18w x 23h shop
how come none of the trade mags talk about 6" ducting?
I just set up a 1.5 HP Penn DC in my 20'x20' shop using 6" sewer & drain pipe for the main lines and 4" sewer and drain for branch lines to each machine. It will suck the chrome off a trailer hitch! I did not ground anything and plan to notify the Wreck immediately if and when there is an explosion.

Dan-o thus spake:

Please include pictures... <g>
Vacuum is nice, but does it maintain enough internal velocity to keep planer/jointer bits in suspension with 6"? Just curious...
Greg G.
nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote in message

I have the Jet 1100, but not the cartridge unit. I ran cheapo snap lock pipe from HD, 6", as the two main lines coming off of it. Then I fabricated my own 6x6x4" wyes and put 4" aluminum blast gates on each machine. Then used some black flexible hose from the blast gate to the machine. The hose I used was the 40' length on Amazon.com, I think it's a Penn Industries hose. It's something like 40' for $40. Great value.
Somewhere I remember there was a question about the size of ducts. I too just bought a DC (Delta 1.5hp) and am trying how to layout my ducts.
Dust explosions and health hazards from dust are a concern, but I'm more interested in getting the chips from my RAS, planer and BS. I'd like to hear more about elbows, flex tube, separators, blast gates and all the rest of the stuff that makes up a good system.
Thanks in advance for input along these lines.
Dave in Dayton