Davids Kitchen Update 7, installation (w/pics)

Hello everyone,

It has been quite a while since I have posted an update with my Kitchen.

Here is what the original kitchen looked like,

Slab doors with t-mould edging, no backs on the cabinets and sagging from the ceiling in the middles. Countertop had rotted underneath faucet and water leaked into the cabinet below, rotting it out too.

Did I mention that this was a modest starter house? :)

Next, rip things apart,

We have forced air, but two years ago when the furnace gave out, we had to fire up the original electric heat for a few days. The heater in the kitchen didn't work, but I never looked into why. Turns out the reason was, it was disconnected. It was screwed to the wall, but the wires were not connected. Wanna guess if there was a live 220 wire behind the wall? Ayup, there was. Mike Holmes would have torn the house down :).

You can see the large pile of very bad pine wainscoting on the floor that was installed over the wall paper.

I tore up the linoleum along with two layers of sticky back tile and the

1/4" underlayment.

Who would have thought a cabinet could get hung up on a single nail in a piece of quarter round?

After laying another 1/2" of ply over the original 1/2" subfloor, I started to tile.

I don't mind tiling, but it turns out I suck at grouting. Good thing Katarina had done this before and saved the day, fixing up my mess.

I was reusing the sink and faucet, so I used the old countertop as a template for the new countertop sink cutout.

To install the uppers, I shot a line around the room and temporarily screwed a 2x4 to the wall as I fastened each cabinet. The yet to be installed backsplash will cover any holes.

For the lowers I jointed two faces of a 2x4 and permanently screwed it to the studs on a level line to support the backs of the cabinets. The fronts are on adjustable legs.

I still need to replace this light fixture,

Here is how things stand right now,

I need to tile the backsplash, retrim the window, replace the light fixture, a small amount of trim, a little painting and voila, all done.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Nice work!

Did you brad nail the cat to the window frame?

Mike Brown

Reply to
mwbrown42

We used to have a cat that would do that when she wanted back into the house. Spent a lot of time replacing screens before we moved.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Mark & Juanita wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: | || Nice work! || || Did you brad nail the cat to the window frame? | | We used to have a cat that would do that when she wanted back | into the house. Spent a lot of time replacing screens before we | moved.

Used to have a cat that did the same thing - until the fall day when I took down the screens and put up the storm windows. I'd gone back into the house and was enjoying a cup of hot coffee when she jumped up to be let in.

The cat suffered extreme loss of queenly dignity.

I spent the next five minutes mopping coffee off the counter, the window, the cabinets,...

Morris Dovey

"Morris Dovey" wrote in

I had a cat who used to leap onto the screen door every time she wanted in. We used to throw water on her to discourage her. But it didn't work. So I installed a sheet of lexan across the bottom of the screen. We referred to it as the "Cat Shield".

That cat would launch herself onto this smooth surface at least once a week. She would bounce off and land in a heap of pissed off cat fury. She never got over the fact that I took her screen door perch away from her. She always considered me to be a poor cat servant anyway.

Reply to
Lee Michaels