David Marks finally disappoints me

"Computer Desk", Parts 1 & 2. What a horrid thing!
DJM occasionally does pieces that aren't to my taste, but this isn't a matter of taste. Even my wife (who appreciates wood, but doesn't know much about it) took one glance and wanted to know why he was going to all that work to make something that looks like a $49 desk from Wal Mart.
It's not even functional, with that teensy keyboard drawer, and that silly-looking monitor riser (which is way too high).
All in all, it's a waste of some beautiful claro walnut veneer. I guess I've just come to expect more from DJM in the way of design.
Kevin
Kevin Craig wrote:

snip

Well if that disturbed you then avoid most of Gary Knocks (intentional misspelling) Bennett's stuff, especially his version of a walnut "desk". Three inch thick slabs of walnut cut up into god awful shapes and stuck together with tusked through tenons. THAT'S A WASTE OF NICE WOOD! At least Mr. Marks used veneer rather than wasting a large amount of walnut.
charlie b

I'd never heard of the guy, until a few minutes' Googling ago.
Ye gods ! What hideous nastiness he wastes good trees for.
And just what is a "keyboard drawer" for ? I've never seen anyone who used a computer (rather than someone who went shopping for one, with a matching desk and An Internet) who had any use for such a thing.

Keyboard trays are for people who think that the keyboard goes in the keyboard tray.
After 20 years of using computers, I still have not found a better desk than two short file cabinets and a solid core door.
brian
I had to laugh when I read this my home office consists of a Desk Book Case Combo, on one wall, a printer stand in the corner, and two file cabinets and a door over them on the other wall. My remodel concept is to end up with an integrated top sweeping around the two walls.
Mike M

Kevin Craig wrote:

Kevin, then again, David might be a computer novice who has only seen "computer desks" at specialty stores and "Wal-Mart." That would account for the good woodwork and lousy functionality.
Deb
I agree that that computer desk was not his best work. Maybe it would look different in person. Some of the closeup shots did look a lot better than the shots showing the wood figure from about 9 or 10 ft away. Generally, David's work and teaching is the best I have seen from anyone on a television show. I always learn something from his show. If Norm is college freshman and sophomore work, David is definitely graduate school level work.
I agree. I was also amused by the full size mdf mock-up. If I were to make something like that, my wife would ask to put the mdf desk in the kids room or something. I think this episode suffers from the same problem that norm's computer desk had. Neither of them probably know anything about computers. As a progammer, I have a lot of strong opinions about comptuer furniture. Most of it sucks. If I were to make my own office/computer desk, and money were no object, I'm sure it would involve a reclining chair with integrated platforms for mice and keboards (note plural) with multiple huge lcd displays or projectors. My ultimate computer desk is more like a room containing those dentist's chairs from the matrix than a piece of furniture.
I also have a design floating around in my head for a large circular desk, maybe 12' in diameter with several platforms and a place to enter the circle. Sort of a large letter C. Complete with curtains around the outside of the circle and large casters so I can wheel it to anywhere I want. It would be cool in a loft type house with one large open space.
brian

See:
<http://oxygen.lcs.mit.edu/E21.html
Friend of mine was working at MIT on the early version of this stuff in 1978-79.

Hmm... I suppose being a programmer is the difference. Personally, I've been knocking around the idea of making a desk that looks like there is no computer at all by building everything into the underside of the top, and using a flat screen monitor that can slide down into the back when not in use. It would just be a whole lot more useful for me, and it'd look better.

You might be a programmer, but you're certainly not a computer geek with that idea. I consider myself to be one of those computer keeps I'm talking about and I've also given a lot of consideration to building my own computer centre. While it might be hidden from sight, it will be stored at desk level, on wheels with *easy* access to pulling the whole works out for modification, upgrading or trouble-shooting. It will also have easy to access 3" abs piping for the running of network cables, video, USB or whatever for the ongoing changes that we computer geeks thrive on when dealing with our toys.
Prometheus wrote:

You have seen the desks with a window where a desk top blotter would go? Though I don't have a flat screen I do have a 19" monitor below it, sitting at an angle.
At a "normal desk" you usually read with the material on the desk top in front of you so looking down at the desk top is familiar.
Just an idea that's a bit simpler than a pop up flat screen.
charlie b

And right after the Egyptian Inspired Chest which I thought was quite inspiring.
Agreed it's quite unattractive. But I did enjoy seeing his approach to making the drawer carcase and frames.
Also -- was it just me -- or was he taking a friendly "jab" at Norm when remarking how he'd like to have a wide belt sander?
<<Also -- was it just me -- or was he taking a friendly "jab" at Norm when remarking how he'd like to have a wide belt sander?>>
Maybe he was dropping a hint to get a manufacturer to provide him one.
Lee

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:23:33 GMT, Patrick Conroy

I liked it when he built his torsion box assembly table. A couple of times he mentioned using the pneumatically shot brads as clamps until the glue dried. But he wasn't taking a shot at Norm, he was taking a shot at the guys that get worked up over that phrase.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Absolutely! And the Egyptian chest isn't something I'd chose to have in my home (different tastes), but it was a gorgeous piece, with excellent proportions.
I agree that neither DJM nor Nahm probably spend much time at a computer desk, thus the Big Box Store look-alike desks.
Speaking of Big Box, it's heartening that the first computer desk I've ever seen that combines true function with the look of nice furniture is currently on display at my local Sam's Club. It's Arts & Crafts style, but has a *wiiiiiide* keyboard drawer, vertical CPU storage, and file/storage drawers.
Unlike most computer desks, it allows the keyboard to be functionally centered, rather than actually centered. By that, I mean you can have the "G" and "H" centered in front of the monitor, and still have the 18" or so to the right needed to accomodate the keypad and mouse. Lefties have plenty of room to center the keyboard and have room to the left for a mouse.
Here's the URL:
http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?coe=0&oidPath=0%3a-23541 %3a-42533%3a-43441%3a922023&mt=a&n=0&BV_SessionID=_SC_1964476516.1118373 091_CS_&BV_EngineIDdfaddekjdfffjcfkfcfkjdgoodfkf.0
Or, http://tinyurl.com/djhh2
I'd prefer it without the hutch (it looks like it might limit monitor placement). The local display doesn't have the hutch, but it's included.
Kevin