David Marks

Page 2 of 3

I'da said Larry Graham but I got the message - thanks - I'll keep watching.
watson - who used to think that Bootsy Collins was the Man.
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Well, a "get down" hell yes! ... or James Jamerson for that matter.

Not too shabby, either.
... but Leland is sneaky in that you never think he has any chops til they hit you between the ears.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

watson - who is kinda interested in seeing how far the responses to this will kick out to the right before he runs out of screen...
I first saw Duck live playing with Leon Russell in about the mid seventies, on a non-venue near to Philly (don't know why they were there - there was no gig on) but heard him from the time of Booker T, Otis, Wilson, Issac - you remember Ronnie Hawkins? - the Hawk that started out the Band?
I don't think there was anybody the sumbitch didn't play with during the seventies and he played with Petty, Clapton and even Buffet during the eighties.
shazzam - somebody else like bass folks - betcha don't like drummers, though.
watson - who likes drummers, too - but not too many keyboard guys and only two vibraphone dudes.
watson - who only likes one harp player and he's really a lyricist.
it ain't mayall.
"Tom Watson" wrote in message ... "Swingman" wrote:

FAVORITE
A great band, even after the Canadian's basically ran Hawkin's out, it still had the southern 'thang'.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Speaking of drummers, did Donald "Duck" Dunn ever play with Donald "Duck" Bailey?
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Betcha thought I was joking? http://www.gallery41.com/JazzArtists/DonaldBailey.htm http://www.thejazzhouse.org/performances.htm

I'm trying to remember who did the bass line on "All She Wants To Do Is Dance".
"Tom Watson" wrote:

There were a lot of bass players listed on the album credts, but I don't recall exacly who played what. Larry Klein, Pino Palladino and Tim Drummond for sure, and a girl bass player, IIRC ... but if I had to guess I'd say Pino?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

All these big bass playin' names... and no mention of amongst my 2 faves Dave Jaques and Pino Palladino.

they
Uh, instead of Jorma, did you perchance mean Jack Casady? He was the Airplane's bassist.
Dave, who is also a bass player, and owns a Chubby Jackson model Kay... oheare AT magma DOT ca
"Dave O'Heare" wrote in message

I am sure that is who he meant. To hell with the Airplane ... give me Hot Tuna!

61 Fender Jazz ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Yeah, sorry - type too fast, think too slow.
Besides, when I think of Jack, I confuse it with Neal.
TJW:

God blessem for not accidently typing David.
UA100, who is enjoying this romp down memory lane...
Dave O'Heare wrote:

Some Hot Tuna would make for some good shoppe muzak.
sigh...
UA100, who personally always wanted to play drums like J. Johnny Johnson and Butch Trucks when he grew up...
<<Shit - normal folks don't know who Slam Stewart is, nor Israel Crosby, nor maybe even Ron Carter (although I believe this shows a lack of a decent education) nor Rodney Whitaker (God Love Louis) nor even Dear Old Chalres Mingus (this degeneration of whelps) dammit Swing >>
One of the best bass men I have ever heard is Charnett Moffett who play with Kevin Eubanks whose live performace repertoire is decidedly different from what he plays on the Tonight Show.
Lee

Lee Gordon wrote:

I first heard Charnett (named for his dad Charles and a certain fellow named Ornette, IIRC) playing on the album _Ask The Ages_, with Sonny Sharrock (*whew*) and Pharoah Sanders (double *whew*). He *almost* stole the show. Had a groove going that sounded more like Jimmy Garrison than anyone I'd heard in a long while.
Of course, if you mention Ornette, you have to mention Charlie Haden.
And if you're into the fusion thing, you only need to say one word: Jaco.
Chuck Vance (whose favorites are probably Mingus (for his compositions more than his playing), Ron Carter (for his playing more than his compositions), and Jaco (for basically re-inventing the bass))

Tom Watson wrote:

I'm pretty sure George Clinton is "The Man".
UA100, who wonders, how many people are thinking. "the white guy who played sax on the Arsenio Hall Show that one time?"...

Nah, that dude got a straight gig for awhile - but I hear he's unemployed again now.
Some said he knew more about blowin' than 'bout near anyone.
If any kind soul would be willing to put an episode or two of David Marks on DVR and send to me I would be very appreciative. I have read much about David Marks and Norm but I am unable to enjoy any of the DIY network where I live in Japan.
Alex Reid www.mokkou.jp