David Marks

If any kind soul would be willing to put an episode or two of David Marks on DVR and send to me I would be very appreciative. I have read much about David Marks and Norm but I am unable to enjoy any of the DIY network where I live in Japan.

Alex Reid

Alex Reid

I'm pretty sure George Clinton is "The Man".

UA100, who wonders, how many people are thinking. "the white guy who played sax on the Arsenio Hall Show that one time?"...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Some Hot Tuna would make for some good shoppe muzak.

sigh...

UA100, who personally always wanted to play drums like J. Johnny Johnson and Butch Trucks when he grew up...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

TJW:

God blessem for not accidently typing David.

UA100, who is enjoying this romp down memory lane...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Nah, that dude got a straight gig for awhile - but I hear he's unemployed again now.

Some said he knew more about blowin' than 'bout near anyone.

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

I first heard Charnett (named for his dad Charles and a certain fellow named Ornette, IIRC) playing on the album _Ask The Ages_, with Sonny Sharrock (*whew*) and Pharoah Sanders (double *whew*). He

*almost* stole the show. Had a groove going that sounded more like Jimmy Garrison than anyone I'd heard in a long while.

Of course, if you mention Ornette, you have to mention Charlie Haden.

And if you're into the fusion thing, you only need to say one word: Jaco.

Chuck Vance (whose favorites are probably Mingus (for his compositions more than his playing), Ron Carter (for his playing more than his compositions), and Jaco (for basically re-inventing the bass))

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

Question about one of his favorite finishes... tung, linseed, urethane mixture... what ratios of these do you experienced people use (of those of you who are partial to this mixture?) As a newbie, I am looking for something that has a lot of beauty like tung oil that haas a protective coating like the urethane. As some previous posters noted about Norm... I'm not totally digging the thousand coats of urethane. Not only that, as a newbie, I have found that the oil finishes are more forgiving of air born dust than a urethane coating...

Reply to
pharmdave

Maybe one should just read the obituaries and look to see when a guy dies who has WW listed as a life's passion, then swoop in on the distraught widow and buy the whole shop for $500!!!

Reply to
pharmdave

I caught that, but it was while using his sled. No real chance for the wood to twist and bind between saw and fence.

But yeah, he should have used a short fence for that.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

Betcha thought I was joking?

Mark and Kim Smith

Have you tried Waterlox? Some people on this group talk a lot about it so I used it on my last project (a pair of walnut endtables) and really liked it. I wiped on 4 coats, lightly rubbed with steel wool, and finished with paste wax. Granted, not as much protection as urethane, but I think more than straight up tung oil, and easier to apply too. Each coat was dry (to touch, not cured) in less than 12 hours.

Chad

Reply to
Chad Bender

I've never thought it was legit and is especially laughable after Norm's little "safety speech" which there's always a "Granted, I don't use them" addition to the end of.

I'd love to see them use all the proper guards and splitters, if for no other reason than to serve as a good role model. Do we really need to see the wood get cut in half or can we just assume that it does when it comes out the other end in two pieces?

Reply to
Brian Henderson

This is often his way of referring to General Finishes Arm-R-Seal. Do search on this and you'll see someone posted an email from him saying that that was his brand. Sometimes the camera will show the back of the can and you can see it's a GF product

Reply to
patrick conroy

Naah, they're just showing you that they get burn marks just like you do.

Reply to
Swingman

!!! !!! !!!

Reply to
patrick conroy

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:00:57 -0500, the inscrutable Chad Bender spake:

It's great stuff.

90% of projects don't NEED the "protection" of poly.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Commercially available: "Tried and True" at Woodcraft. Marks is careful not to endorse anyone by accident.

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson

While you can't get the narrative explanation, you can look up the show online at

and get multiple illustrations, measurements and instructions. For free! You don't have to buy from NYWS.

Steve

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson

It's just too bad that Norm is sponsored by Delta Tools and not Delta Dental. The guy could really stand to have some dental work done.

Reply to
Hank Gillette

But we always see him building it for the second time. It might be an interesting program to see him build the _prototype_.

Reply to
Hank Gillette