Daughter's wedding present.

Page 2 of 2
Swingman wrote:

I live in the second coldest national capital of the world. Ottawa. This has been the mildest winter in my memory, and I've logged more shop time than I thought possible. My shop is a tin shed on a ply floor that's heated with kerosene.
On truly bitterly cold days like today, I just bail out and read Usenet. Tonight is supposed to hit - 13F or -25 C. My cutoff is around 5 F or -15 C. Any colder than that outside and the temperature in the shop hits the "stupid time" temp. I'm too cold to think properly and I end up trying to use my scary sharp chisels on the tips of my fingers.
Someone in another post ( I think it was charlieb) used the count to ten rule. If you had 10 digits going in, and have 10 digits coming out of the shop, you've been successful. I try the 21 rule. God help me if I ever come out of that shop and only count to 20.
Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 09:56:55 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

A few brads to hold it while the glue renders.
-Leuf

I like the curve there. I wonder if there'd be some way to integrate a curve into the base? If you like the base, go for it (assuming the bride approves - great advice JOAT!) One other thing - I don't know if it'd be a real concern or not, but are you going to do some sort of lower side or front rails on the chairs? They'll probably be skidded around a lot in their lifetime, including with the weight of a person on them. Seems like a little extra support would add a lot of strength. A front rail would also supply a place to rest one's feet. Again, I haven't tried this both ways (only chair I've built is a rocker); just wondering aloud. Looks nice, Andy (who doesn't have a clue about 3D renderings - I do most of my 2D "renderings" in a program called "Pencil & Graph Paper 2.0", but I occasionally use "Pen & Scrap Paper 1.1" when I don't have access to all my home design tools).
Andy wrote:

That was good advice from JOAT, ultimately, it is the couple who has to live with it.
Inside information has it that they would also like a couple of stacks of barristers' bookcases. They're both serious bookworms.
Either project is going to gobble up some serious materials. Lemmeseehere....MultiRouter..check. Pile of fabulous cherry...check... $5k?

Yeah, that seems to tie things together pretty well.
You know you didn't need to hurry with that, I'd have waited for you to put the tools away before posting. ;-)

I am sure that your daughter will be thrilled.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Thanks, Lee. I have till September, so lots of time (ya right)
"Robatoy" wrote in message

"Very Prarie" ... to coin a new term. ;)

Absolutely.
That would be startling.
Not a criticism, but do you have enough overhang on the ends of the trestle, and do you really want the side chairs to have arms, or was that just a convenience in rendering the model?

Perhaps a bit too easy? ... hard to tell, but the back legs of the chairs appear to angle toward the front legs at the same chair back angle? If so, and with that tall back, you may find them to be a bit too easy to tip backwards.
I really do like your design ... they'd look gorgeous with a leather 'slip' seat. Well done!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07
Swingman wrote:

Vince Gill played in a band with a name something like that, now the song 'Amy' is stuck in my head for ther rest of the day.

Good point. I'd have to make sure there's enough room for feet at the end seating arrangement.

I plan on only one chair with arms. I modelled it first and got lazy and copied it for the other positions.

Maybe a perspective thing. Pure side views show them parallel. I plan to introduce a very slight curve to front of the back/legs, but just to the front of the back/legs as I want to keep the straight look as much as possible.

Thank you, and yes, leather is the choice there (told you I was ripping off ideas, this time FLW/Taliesin/Brophius) Dropping the model onto a Liberty rug gave me a better understanding of what I'm after. (Now I'll have to hunt one of those rugs down and add it to the package....good thing she's worth it. Maybe something Navaho-ish.)
As always, thanks for the positive input.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

My mistake ... the other photo links hadn't come across when I posted that and I saw later that was the case. Besides, I figured/knew you were smarter than that. ;)

You bet ... you're doing it right with all the 3D modeling. I'm stuck in 2D, but even with a good deal of practice visualizing house plans and shop drawings down through the years, I'm still learning what works and what doesn't from a flat space.
I really need to spend the time to pick up on 3D.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Yes, I do.

Absoluetly.
Nice rendering!
FWIW, these are the changes that my eye wants:
1. Six rungs under the table, the five seems a little sparce next to the chair. Either group them closer, add a rung or both.
2. Reproduce the arch design element in the table in the lower rail of the table end.
3. I don't care for the base beneath the table end. I would just loose that component.
4. I would have to put a taper on the last 4 inches of all the legs (table and at least the forepaws of the chairs). Only because I find mission too damn square .... an arc and a few tapers and I feel much better.
Cheers,
Steve

I think so!

Cherry would look great - you weren't going to stain it, were you? Also, I like a lot of Steve's ideas, and had some of the same thoughts:

I wouldn't disagree with this, though it didn't jump out at me. Maybe (if you have a mortiser or some easy method) you could do a row of the same 3/4" or 1" spindles that are on the back of the chair? Something like this
http://www.ci.state.id.us/images/FurniturePagesPics/Tables/CustomMissionStyleTable.jpg
(http://tinyurl.com/ygtcl5 ), but maybe without the spindles down the middle. (Who knew that inmates made custom mission style furniture?)

I was thinking about this idea before I read this response - I think that would tie them together nicely. But I really think they match each other very nicely, even with a curve in the chair and straight rails on the table.

That was my first thought when I looked at your picture - is there another piece you were emulating with that element? It seems like it would facilitate toe-stubbing.

Sure - that's a good classic mission style design element, and it's fairly easy to do. Gives you a good selection of doorstops. Just don't make the angle too sharp! I like the slightly lighter look it imparts to the generally solid furniture design. Good luck and have fun, Andy
Andy wrote:

Bite your tongue! ;)

http://www.ci.state.id.us/images/FurniturePagesPics/Tables/CustomMissionStyleTable.jpg
That is a nice table, I really like the design, I am trying for something 'heftier'-looking.
[snip]
...about the table bases:

I am still trying to figure out why I like it as much as I do. Funny thing about stubbing toes.. it has an automated teaching device built in. It really isn't that intrusive, I don't think. I know I have seen it before, I just can't recall where.... but I liked it.

I will play with tapers, but it might take me away from what I'm trying to do. We'll see.
...keep them cards and letters coming, because I am on a thieving mission, and will steal any and all ideas.
Stephen M wrote:

Thank you.

That's one of the beauties of modelling. I tried many configurations and with the base beneath the table end, the heftier look works better for me. This thing will be large, I can't get too 'spindly' with this.

That I will give a try.

I really like the look of it. Saw one somewhat like it, and taking it in and out of the model, I now feel it needs to be there. This will be a workhorse. My kid will do her crafts and stuff on it, I doubt it will ever be used as a formal dining room.... it really isn't formal at all.

Only a little bit of taper. I'll try that too.
I appreciate the input.
Sun, Jan 14, 2007, 6:13pm (EST-3): snipped-for-privacy@topworks.ca (Robatoy) doth query: <snip> Do the table and chairs look compatible? I was thinking cherry, any other suggestions? <snip>
My first thought for a wedding present would have been something along the lines of a cedar chest - but I like chests and that's just me.
Well, I'd have said something more along the lines of a trestle table, but I'd say they're pretty well compatible. Sure look a lot better than a lot of the stuff out there with huge prices asked. So yes, I think they look good. EXCEPT for that chair on the table. I expect it's the lighting or something, but it looks like it'd been buried for quite awhile, then dug up.
I think cherry would be good, I like cherry. On the other hand, I think those chairs and the table should look good with about any wood, except knotty pine - depending on how it's finished, of course - I don't think I'd cae for maple much, if it was left light for example; but nothing real dark either. Actually, I'd say the table top is just about right.
JOAT I do not have the huge amount of faith needed to be an Atheist.
Sun, Jan 14, 2007, 6:13pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@topworks.ca (Robatoy) doth query: <snip> any other suggestions? <snip> On the way to town I thought about the response I gave before, and the one I "should" have given. So I retract my previous response.
What you think doesn't mean Jack. What I think doesn't mean Jack. Or, anyone else. Anyone except the bride, that is. Find out what "she" thinks, go from there.
JOAT I do not have the huge amount of faith needed to be an Atheist.