Daughter's wedding present.

members of the table. that would allow you to keep the curves on the chair and tie the designs together.

Just like conversations, one always thinks of something after walking away.

Mark & Juanita
[snipped for brevity]

I liked that idea, so I got my tools and went to work:

that what you were thinking?

Thanks.

Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

I approve also. It is a subtle touch, but it goes together. It works.

What I wanna know robatoy, is how you build these tables and chairs SO FAST?!?! ;)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Did you see the teeth on that saw? That sucker cuts real quick! (I was too lazy to add too much detail) In terms of modelling, it helps if you do it often. After a while, the metaphor between real construction and 'building' a model becomes quite natural, assuming your software allows that way of thinking, and most don't. I have 3D level AutoCAD certification from the local college and thoroughly despise the program/software. There is nothing 'natural' about it. I don't use it. I use MiniCAD (now called Vectorworks) and Strata 3D. For proper, to scale, dimensioned drawings, I use Vectorworks. All on a Mac, but all that stuff runs on Billyware as well. Yet, a neighbour of mine has been using AutoCAD since screens were green, and finds it the most intuitive software there is. a) he uses it every day. b) he stays in shape. c) poor guy doesn't know any better.

Reply to
Robatoy

A few brads to hold it while the glue renders.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I got jealous after looking after your "stuff" yesterday and, since it too damn cold to go in the shop, I decided to try my hand at "Sketchup" ... pretty cool concept, but the free one is certainly is not the one to design furniture with AFAICT.

I do have a copy of DesignCAD 3D ... might reload it and see if it's any better while it's too cold for this thin blooded coonass to work in the shop. (.... and all you Canuckians can quit laughing about 32 F being "too cold".)

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote: [snip]

Sketchup is kinda cool, sorta not. Very limited to a basic ...errmm..sketch?

I have seen some decent stuff done in both Turbo- and DesignCAD. But, like any tool, make it work for you. Three tools to look for: (sometimes called by different names) are Add, Clip, and Multiple Extrude. 'Add' allows you to take two objects, join (or overlap) them to become one new object: two rectangles become an l-shape. 'Clip' (sometimes called subtract) does the opposite: Take a rectangle and overlap with another object and the result will be a rabbet, or when using an overlapping circle, a core-box bit look-a-like. Third, and very useful: Multiple Extrude. Take a square 3"x3" and a square 1"x1" put them parallel to each other and 30" apart. Multiple Extrude will create a tapered object, like a table leg. Those are the three tools I used for the table and chair frames. The seat cushion is a bit more complex.

How to carve a virtual bust of Mozart: Take a big virtual block of wood. With the Clip tool, remove everything that doesn't look like Mozart. (Yup, there is such a thing as CAD humour.... such as it is.)

Robatoy

curve into the base? If you like the base, go for it (assuming the bride approves - great advice JOAT!) One other thing - I don't know if it'd be a real concern or not, but are you going to do some sort of lower side or front rails on the chairs? They'll probably be skidded around a lot in their lifetime, including with the weight of a person on them. Seems like a little extra support would add a lot of strength. A front rail would also supply a place to rest one's feet. Again, I haven't tried this both ways (only chair I've built is a rocker); just wondering aloud. Looks nice, Andy (who doesn't have a clue about 3D renderings - I do most of my 2D "renderings" in a program called "Pencil & Graph Paper 2.0", but I occasionally use "Pen & Scrap Paper 1.1" when I don't have access to all my home design tools).

Reply to
Andy

. That was good advice from JOAT, ultimately, it is the couple who has to live with it.

Inside information has it that they would also like a couple of stacks of barristers' bookcases. They're both serious bookworms.

Either project is going to gobble up some serious materials. Lemmeseehere....MultiRouter..check. Pile of fabulous cherry...check... $5k?

Reply to
Robatoy

It works for me, though if you have a lot of curves you've got problems. I find it especially useful just for playing with dimensions to see how it's going to look and I can fill in the details myself. For example:

For a chest for a client I started out with these two sketches to show possibilities:

after deciding on the frame and panel that got refined to this:

the result:

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Did you do this with the free version?

:)

You're miles ahead of me, but then I just downloaded it yesterday and went through the four downloadable "tutorials" ... maybe I better have another look, eh?

Thanks for the inspiration!

Reply to
Swingman

Yes. Basically, draw a rectangle that's the footprint of the piece. Pull it up to the height. Draw your rails and styles on the faces. Push the panels in. Easy. The edge profile on the top is the tricky part, but I don't usually even bother with details like that.

One thing that definitely helps is to change the format of the units from architectural to fractional, so that all your dimensions are in inches rather than feet and inches. It's buried in a menu, Window->Model Info.

Thanks! Client has a whole maple/cherry bedroom set that I was matching. Working on a small dresser for her now too, so I guess she liked it.

There's a lot where it seems like I'm banging my head against the wall trying to get an arc or something. But sticking with mainly rectangular shapes it works real well, real fast. Well suited for mission type stuff I think.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

The knowledge how a piece gets made and how it goes together in RT really helps the model construction.

For a look and feel about the proportions of a project, a high-end rendering engine isn't really required.

Reply to
Robatoy

Arcs aren't a problem in Strata. Here are some examples of Strata's capabilities. This guy (Leif Buckley) is good.

Robatoy

I live in the second coldest national capital of the world. Ottawa. This has been the mildest winter in my memory, and I've logged more shop time than I thought possible. My shop is a tin shed on a ply floor that's heated with kerosene.

On truly bitterly cold days like today, I just bail out and read Usenet. Tonight is supposed to hit - 13F or -25 C. My cutoff is around 5 F or

-15 C. Any colder than that outside and the temperature in the shop hits the "stupid time" temp. I'm too cold to think properly and I end up trying to use my scary sharp chisels on the tips of my fingers.

Someone in another post ( I think it was charlieb) used the count to ten rule. If you had 10 digits going in, and have 10 digits coming out of the shop, you've been successful. I try the 21 rule. God help me if I ever come out of that shop and only count to 20.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Yeah, that seems to tie things together pretty well.

You know you didn't need to hurry with that, I'd have waited for you to put the tools away before posting. ;-)

Mark & Juanita