Dateline Cochran, GA

Page 1 of 4
We got 6 1/2 inches of rain last evening and night. About midnight the weather radio came on and said there "was the potential of flash flooding in Cochran and Bleckley County, If you experience flooding move to higher ground."
I can't believe someone gets paid to broadcast gems like that. They must be brilliant to get that job.
--
 GW Ross

 We are born naked, wet and hungry.

Look at it this way. There's bound to be a number of people who won't move unless someone tells them to.
And considering the litigious reputation the US has, what is the possibility that someone would sue a radio station for not advising the obvious? You just never know.
On 5/15/2014 7:53 AM, G. Ross wrote:

One thing that is missing in today's culture is "Common Sense".
Today most people live in a virtual reality of computer games, videos, and TV programs. You do not learn self preservation in a video game.
There are those that do not realize the chicken wing they love to eat comes from a living breathing animal.

I once told my son that the professions that had the least pressure of being right all of the time was weather forecasters and medical.
On Thu, 15 May 2014 11:01:35 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Hey, no one else had the McDonald's coffee lawsuit case. Other people in the developed global world have done some damned stupid things and sued for them, but none of them have awarded someone three million dollars for driving and spilling a cup of coffee between their legs.
Hell, I'm willing to bet that if the coffee was too cold, she'd have sued for that and won even more money. :) :) :)

Not to be uncharitable, but you apparently fell for the spin the media put for the stupid on that issue, and I know damned good and well you're not in that category. ;)
I thought so at first also ... until I saw the photos of the burns on her thighs from that coffee. IIRC, she wasn't driving, was a passenger in the car, and they were stopped in the parking lot.
https://www.ttla.com/index.cfm?pg=McDonaldsCoffeeCaseFacts
Photo of the burn here. Careful if you're squeamish.
http://www.scarymommy.com/message-board/index.php?p=/discussion/15842/mcdonalds-hot-coffee-burns-lawsuit-graphic-content-warning/p1
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

message wrote:

Not my coffee...not after it gets in my cup. No way could I drink coffee at thet temperature - can you? - so why not serve it at a drinkable temperature rather than brew temperature?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

All you have to do is come up with a way for government to tax it (other than the lottery - already been done).
On Thu, 15 May 2014 13:20:46 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

+1
Maybe McDs should have put a disclaimer on the cup saying that coffee is hot. ...so now we're forced to drink cold coffee.

After all, doctors are only licensed to practice.

The police around here have the same cars, in black on black.
On Fri, 16 May 2014 00:27:52 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) wrote:

However, how many people who are "experiencing flooding" go to low-lying areas without such warning?

The second sentence is the issue.
says...

Clothing holds the fluid and heat against the skin longer.
Clothing mediated burns are worse.

Maybe so, but that might not be considered out of place. At home, you put the kettle on, when the water is boiling and it steams it whistles. You pour it in a cup, add your coffee and take a tentative sip to test the hotness.
Coffee is supposed to be hot, not luke warm, hot. I'd expect that and so would most other people I know. It's damned stupid to be putting it between your legs ~ for whatever reason.
Yeah, this has all been hashed out before. There's not much that can be added to it now.

I agree. However, please provide a precise, universally accepted definition.temperature of "hot".
And who the hell is "luke"??
Thanks. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

troll. But I wanted to comment.
Years ago, I was involved in the specialty coffee biz for a while. There was a big push at that time to "standardize" coffee brewing temperatures. Considerable money and time was spent to determine the "optimal brewing temperature". And it was short of boiling.
In fact a number of procedures and monitoring equipment was devised to achieve this mathematical ideal. The consensus of the McDonalds incident was that it had to be crap coffee if it was brewed at those kinds of temperature. McDonalds has greatly improved their coffee since those days, because they found out that it brought people in the doors. All they had to do was to sell it cheaper than Starbucks. Which is not hard to do.
On 5/16/2014 9:05 AM, Swingman wrote:

on which setting you chose.
IMHO this conversation is starting to sound like the law suite brought against Ryobi by the guy that cut his finger off because he did not use the equipment properly.
Is placing a closed container, containing a known hot product, between your legs to secure it while opening it not an accident waiting to happen?
It is mentioned that in a 10 year period that 700 people have been burned by spilling coffee in genital area, perineum, inner thighs, and buttocks. I don't recall seeing any mention of body parts being burned when the coffee was applied to the intended body parts. ;~)
One buys "hot" coffee vs. iced coffee because it is hot beverage. If you buy a hot product you should take care not to pour it all over your self. Pizza is classically served HOT. You pull out a piece and place it right into your mouth and scald the inside of your mouth, is the establishment at fault?
IMHO regardless of temperature, different parts of your body are going to burn more easily, at lower temperatures that others. I can easily put something much hotter in my mouth than I can stand to hold on to. Ones mouth and lips are accustomed to having hot things placed into it/them.
Do you think that if the coffee that is hot, but you can sip it, gets thrown on your hand that you will not burn?
One also has to wonder that if the fabric melted what kept the plastic cup from melting.. ;~)
Now having said that if the cup of coffee was stilling boiling when the lady was attempting to open the cup between her legs I could see that being a problem with the temperature being served but according to the article 130 degrees is hot enough to cause a burn. I'm thinking that one would not accept a cup of coffee that is served at that low temperature.
On 5/17/2014 8:55 AM, Leon wrote:

Don't know how accurate that is because strangely enough, and according to this supposedly highly accurate digital medical thermometer used in chemotherapy applications, the coffee had a range of 138.4 to 128.8F temperature as it hits the cup:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0q0AdEIQNKmp4cwwPMWvXNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
The coffee grounds, immediately after brewing, read 142F.
Focused on the stream of water, on the "Hot Water" setting, held a steady 164.8F:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lK1jIkD75L6WPKntel_kLtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
Cool thermometer ... I have requisitioned it from the "cold cap" box of goodies we give out to chemo patients to keep them from losing their hair. There is a very narrow range they must achieve to keep their scalp from frost bite, so these things are extremely accurate.
Also been known to use it to test AC vents for the proper temperature.

Or the civil lawsuits against the car manufacturers regarding seat belts and rear end collisions; or tire manufacturers, or ... ad infinitum. <g,d &r>
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 5/17/2014 1:12 PM, Swingman wrote:

I think a more accurate reading might be gotten with the thermometer sitting inside a fresh brewed Styrofoam cup. You are getting a surface temp exposed to the ambient temp. I used to develop my own slide film. It evolved a large glass thermometer as the water temp in the sink had to be darn close to what was called for. I had to warm the sink for quite a while to get a consistent temp reading and IIRC the thermometer instructions wanted a 3~4 minute submerfed exposure to give an accurate reading. I think you are going to need a probe to submerge in the coffee to get a true overall temperature reading.

Hotter still. But again, surface temperature.

I used a temp probe.
Tap water, and farking hot.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/14020397679/
Brewed Water
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/14020467187/in/photostream/

I have a voltage meter with a temp probe. should I bring it tonight? LOL

On 5/17/2014 1:47 PM, Leon wrote:

I used to develop my own slide film.

On the other hand: ;)
Using your argument, the vessel itself, being cooler than the hot water, will have cooled the water slightly at lower levels in my measurements.
The hot water stream as it enters the cup will indeed be somewhat effected by your "ambient" air temperature on the way down to the surface, but, without an additional source of heat, and until the vessel reaches an equilibrium temperature with the liquid as your sink did, the temperature of the water stream at the entry point will still be at its highest temperature ... and that point of entry is not within the scientific definition of "surface temperature" of a liquid.
IIRC my physics classes, "surface temperatures" are not necessarily lower than at lower depths, quite common in boiling water with the nucleate film effect that vapor causes.
;)