Das Lathe Bench Progress - Poly Over Garnet - and Padouk

Leveler legs on, hinge debris chute screwed on, the inside and chute given multi coats of garnet shellac, topped with three coats of Enduro semi gloss water based poly - and some Padouk dust caps/plugs
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/CBlatheBench/CBlathebench7.html
So far, so good.
charlile b
charlie b (in snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com) said:
| Leveler legs on, hinge debris chute screwed on, the inside and | chute given multi coats of garnet shellac, topped with three | coats of Enduro semi gloss water based poly - and some Padouk | dust caps/plugs | | http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/CBlatheBench/CBlathebench7.html | | So far, so good.
Very nice indeed! A thought to keep in mind: if the allthread "buzzes" when the lathe is under power, you might want to slip a length of 3/8"ID polyethylene tubing over the rods...
charlie - like your other work, it looks great.
I have a question about he finish, though. How are you applying the water based Enduro - spray or brush? Does it get reasonably hard like a traditional solvent based poly, or does it stay soft like an exterior spar varnish?
One more... that damn chromatic blue. I haven't tried any of the water based stuff for a couple of years as I put it one a door frame for a client (didn't want the fumes around his kiddos from the regular stuff) and it has a blue-ish white tinge to it. More coats made more tinge. I didn't refinish since he called out the coating, but it was ugly.
Are you having any of this with the Enduro?
Robert
Morris Dovey wrote:

So far so good.

Hadn't even thought about that. Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It's made for HVLP application - but for something like this small bench it wasn't worth the cleanup - even with waterbase. So it was brushed on - foam brushed on.

see above

No. Three coats - but it's hard to tell over garnet shellac. Will check for blue when I do the baltic birch ply on the sides and let you know.
charlie b