Das Bench - The Journey Nears Its End

For those following the saga of Das Bench (aka building a REAL Woodworker's Bench - the bench being the "real" part 'cause I'm far from being a real woodworker and don't want to mislead anyone), here's the latest installment. The top core is done, the apron splined and all threaded to the core, the shoulder vise and twin screw in place and the top ready to be "mounted" to the base unit. Still have a few screws to put in on the twin vise and some dog holes to do but ...

(all one line so watch the line wrap)

be taking the top apart - one more time - to cut the "square" dog holes in the front apron - after I make a run up to WoodCraft to get a "square" dog (they're not really square but more of a longer than it is wide rectangle).

Fun stuff this woodworking thing. Beats pissin' & moanin' about chisels not holding an edge or what blurfl to buy (you listening Dave? : )

Anyone else making any furniture?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

seems to surround the bench. :-)

Heh. Careful, charlieb. His killfile is only a careless (or factual) comment away. :-)

A small hutch for SWMBO. I'm making the side panels (raising them by hand) for the base now. Then it's time to cut the m&t's for joining the side panels to stretchers. Then it's drawers. Then it's the top section of the hutch. I hope to be done by the end of the summer. :-}

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

No, trying to get my shop back. :-( Lost the water heater and SWMBO took the opportunity to upgrade the utility room. New paint on the walls, laid new linoleum last night and new baseboard this morning. The washer is out of the shop, back working in the utility room. The dryer is still in the middle of the shop in the process of getting a new power cord.

Hopefully I'm just a few days away from sawdust again. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

taking the top apart (again) and driving 60 miles each way for squarish bench dogs? You gotta sumptin' against the cute little round ones you make in your own shop? 3/4 Forstner, oak dowels glued to little bubeeenga or cocobolocobocolo square caps. Dey'll make a nice contrast with your mapley benchtop and you be stylin'.

Oh. Nevermind. I forgot... we're talking about... you. Drilling holes and making dogs would be too... easy. ;>

Hears. Doesn't listen. Troll boogers clogging up the frontal lobe, methinks.

Nice bench, Charlie. I've even bookmarked the site for those sexy-as-hell adjustable-from-above leg leveler thingys. They're slicker'n'snot.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Baglio

Nice looking bench! I took the tour of your website...very cool.

Cheers,

aw

Reply to
A Dubya

Thanks for posting again Charlie - I'm somewhat behind you in construction - I've got the feet and legs cut and M&T''d (believe it or not they sort of fit!). I'm moving on to the stretchers. I really appreciate your posting - I hope you'll leave these pages active for a little while so I can benefit from your experience and wisdom -

You're not kidding anyone with the "real" thing - you ARE a "real" woodworker - I think it's the trying that makes you "real". You're more skilled than I am, and maybe less skilled than some others. Maybe you're don't make your living with woodworking. But, I think skill comes with time, practice, and patience. Whatever your skill level is, you're definitely a "REAL" woodworker.

Right now, my furniture making is my workbench construction -

Great Job - thanks for your willingness to teach and help me by making this available!

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

listening? definitely!

commenting? no.

dave

charlie b wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

starting backwards

Dave: - that was one or your shortest posts - ever. Wander over when you get the chance. Call first - I do leave the property once in a while.

Nick: - perservere - mine was over a year in the making - though that's elapsed time not actual working time. Now that I've found a source for thick stock and have done one I think I could do another one in less than 40 hours, drying time for danish oil and shellac excluded.

You'll use most of the hand tools and power tools you own before the bench is done and what you learn will get refined on the next project.

As for being a "real" woodworker - you obviously haven't made it to my OOPS! pages so here's the latest page - one of several related to making this bench

Unless comcast goes under or raises their rates out of my league my site'll be around - and growing. If what's there helps someone out or gets them to try something they didn't think they could do I'm happy.

A Dubya: - My site's pretty primitive as web sites go but you can get to most everything from the all text index.

I like Swingman's "20/20 Hindsight" idea and should probably do somthiing similar.

Mark: - Not sure how SWMBO's projects always become the top priority. Was (empahsizing was) married to a woman who had to be related to Sarah Winchester (Sarah believed that as long as she kept building on to her house the souls or all those killed by Winchester rifles couldn't "get her".). I went through "move the kitchen into the end of the garage, make the current kitchen into the dining room, open up that wall into the living room, make that exterior sliding door into two windows, make that back door into another window and while you're at it, raise the remaining garage floor so it's level with the house floor AND wire and light it for my weaving room - did I mention that will require opening up the living room wall - right up against the fireplace - for a door? Raised the property value, which she got 60% of as part of the property settlement. But I've got the house AND the four car garage shop!

Mike: - There will be round dogs and round dog holes as well, some in rosewood (been collecting smallish pieces for a year or two), bocote, bubingo and maybe some out of badda bing badda boom (very rare wood found only in Jersey). But round dog holes, though easy enough to drill, do require making round wood things to fit in them. Alas, no lathe - yet (but I've got a line on one :).

Could you e-mail me the guitar maker's url, lost my ea-mail a while back. Want to send him a piece of that bear claw spruce.

Chuck: - Actually, Dave's a nice guy - in person :)

That otherworldlyglow thing only shows up in photos. Wonder if it has something to do with the ghosts who were after Sarah Winchester?

As for the workmanship - you obviously missed The See Through Leg (mortise cut on the wrong side of the line) and the other screw ups on this project. Am thinking of adding a section to my site called "F**K UPS & Fixes"

Ain't woodworking fun?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:24:36 -0700, charlie b brought forth from the murky depths:

-snip of unwarranted self-deprecation-

Woos. Real men use round dawgs.

--DISCLAIMER: Those with weak hearts should not read this. It describes Larry actually making something in his shop.--

I'm almost done with a guitar stand, halfway through refinishing a mantle, 1/3 of the way done with the carving bench, and in the planning stages of a smallish entertainment center. Ayup, I've actually made sawdust 5 times in the last week.

--- - Friends don't let friends use FrontPage -

Dynamic Website Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Get back to us when you actually *finish* making something in your shop, C-less.

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

That will be the day! It actually takes a working bow saw to complete anything ,

Alan Bierbaum

web site:

Alan Bierbaum

Ooo Ya, dey say dat de journey is bedder dan de destination. Thassa heckuva trip you bin on dere Larry.

Reply to
Greg Millen

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:35:41 -0600, Dave Balderstone brought forth from the murky depths:

Oh, who cares about those pesky details?

--- - Friends don't let friends use FrontPage -

Dynamic Website Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, I wasn't totally opposed. ;-) The busted water heater made a pathetic-looking utility room look like a failed urban renewal project. Since I'm hoping to some day in the not too distant future to move to at least a two car gara^H^H^H^Hshop, having a utility room that doesn't look like hell warmed over is a selling point.

Plus I got to by another trowel and curved blades for my utility knife. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Looks really nice.

Nothing but shop carpentry and some shop furniture since last June. Next project is either a) a shaper cutter and router bit cabinet, partially to use up some prototype oak doors that I built to test out as prototypes for my entry cabinet or b) start on the kitchen cabinets for the kitchen remodel.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita