Das Bench - In the Home Stretch

Das Bench top is now attached to Das Bench base, the Veritas Twin Screw Vise installation is done and works and one row of round dogholes have been drilled. Other than trying to drill through one of the All Threads between the front and back aprons things are going well and tomorrow I'll do the second row of dogholes and FINALLY start using this tool.
This one's going to get the first "Hand Made By" engraved brass disks a friend made up for me. Hell, if I take a day to practice I may be able to sign this puppy in a legible hand.
Have posted some pics to a.b.p.w. for those who don't use a web browser. For those who do use a web browser here's the url to the latest page on this bench. All one line so watch the line wrap. http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/BenchFinishing/CBbench33.html
I keep switching between "I made that?" and "Why'd I do that?".
Fun stuff this woodworking thing.
charlie b
Lookin good Charlie !!!
Nick B

Very nice, but why do you want to patch the dog hole with a dowel. You should still be able to use the dog hold with the vice threads under it, I have a similar problem. I just can't use it for hold down clamps.
Joe
BIG JOE wrote:

Joe:
The OOPS! doghole is right over one of the three 1/2 inch All Threads through the bench top The top of the All Thread is only an inch below the top of the bench, sitting in a 3/4 inch dado on the bottom of the top layer of the bench's maple core. That's not a very deep hole for a dog.
Hmmmm- maybe an opportunity to try and do some ebony diamond inlays? Or maybe an ebony circle with a walrus tusk "ivory" dot in the center.
This thing is going to be a tool, not a "don''t touch - you'll get fingerprints on the finish!" piece of house furniture. But there isn't any reason why a tool can't also look nice. Lie Nielsen has certainly shown that to be true.
It ain't gonna get abused but if it gets scratched or dings a shellac finish is easy enough to fix.
Am looking foreward to the use and further evolution of Das Bench.
charlie b