Darkest Wood Stain?

I'm searching for the darkest wood stain I can find, and would appreciate any recommendations.
Is staining to black even possible?
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York

Try this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wood+black+dye
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

Absolutely, General Finishes makes a Black Stain.
Search for "Ebonizing"... or use paint.

Other people have reported success in staining black with india ink. REALLY black. I havenn't done it. I have used occasional black magic marker on some touchups that worked OK.
Obviously you need to check for compatibility with the finish.
Old Guy

Searcher7 wrote:

Look into "ebonizing".
High quality drafting inks do great, as do some chemical treatments. Some black dyes are good, but many can fade to a blu-ish purple.
"Searcher7" wrote in message

General Finishes' "Java" Gel Stain is about as dark a stain as I've seen off the shelf, and it can make even poplar look good stained.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Not long ago, I started a thread on this and posted my results after testing several finishes. The winner for ebonizing maple was a drop or two of undiluted transtint black spread on the board with a rag just dampened with d-alcohol. It was *black*. CharlieB suggested Design Higgins WaterProof Drawing Ink 4415 and I want to try it but haven't yet. Anyway, that thread was titled 'ebonizing maple and was originally posted 1/15/08.
Good luck,
jc

Look here and scroll down to Lamp Black. While it is a milk paint you can wipe off for a stained look. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 245&filter=general%20finishes

Thanks everyone.
I just want to make sure that whatever I use will penetrate deep enough so that normal scuffing will not result in light colored "scars".
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York