Dark Stain for Flooring

I'm thinking about having a dark stained wood floor in our new house. What would be a good choice of wood and stain color combination? Really don't want any golden or orange tones. Prefer just dark dark brown. Leaning toward white oak. Would a dark wax be an option?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Hi, Provincial looks nice on white oak. It tends to be about the same tone only darker and brings out the grain, expecially if there's any quarter sawn mixed in. As for the wax...depends on how much upkeep you want to do. I suggest an oil based finish, personally.
The best choice would be to select a dark wood.
On 27 Apr 2005 08:01:44 -0700, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spake:

White oak? Fume it with ammonia. It goes deeper into the wood so scratches wouldn't be exposing undyed wood. Cherry might be another option for you. It darkens naturally.
Dark wax would be used in the pores of fumed white oak if you didn't fill them with finish, but it wouldn't be anywhere nearly thick enough to darken wood.
--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance
Larry Jaques wrote:

Toss in a bottle of ammonia and close the door quickly.